• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much extra "power" with gears

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I know your not getting more power with better gears. But how much of a difference will 4.10s make compared to a set of 3.07s in a 5 speed MJ.

Im nto looking for numbers, does it have more "power" is it worth it?

Its not about more power, changing youre gear ratio increases the RPM your going to run at any given speed, keeping the motor at an RPM where its making good power and torque not bieng bogged down by operating at low RPMs. Large tires make youre RPMs go down, lower gears bring them back up. I personally feel Jeep chose a 3.07 ratio that is not the best match for what RPM range the 4.0 makes its best torque at but I have 30s with AX-15, 3.07 gears and while it works pretty well I'd like 3.55s axles from an automatic Jeep. Of course, since I have a manual tranny I can directly control the RPM, and thats how I drive, I delay shifting longer than when the stupid upshift light comes on so the motor stays within its optimal RPM range. I think the lower gears would start in 1st better in certain situations.

summitlt said:
I know your not getting more power with better gears. But how much of a difference will 4.10s make compared to a set of 3.07s in a 5 speed MJ.

Im nto looking for numbers, does it have more "power" is it worth it?

My mj had 307s stock and it was doggy. I put 373s in it and noticed the difference. I now have 410s and love the way they feel. Oh, and I have 30 inch tires.

I put 3.73 in my AX15 and 31" equipped '91 and it brings the gearing to about what it was with stock gears and tires. 4.11 will be a tad low on tires under 31", better acceleration but lousy gas mileage.

Back