• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

360 swap

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
i relealize this has been discussed before and i have searched and this is why i came to this site in the first place . But every thread I read usually turns into why a stroker is better then v8 , and I know that its probably easier to do and power gains are probally just as good but i just want to find info on the swap has it been done and how , i wanted to run my stock aw4 tranny so what about flex plate , how did you get it to shift and how does the exhaust and cooling look I know it must be tight thks guys this place seems to be the place to find out good info 88 xj 4.0 on 44 ,30 combo 4.88s

rupert said:
i relealize this has been discussed before and i have searched and this is why i came to this site in the first place . But every thread I read usually turns into why a stroker is better then v8 , and I know that its probably easier to do and power gains are probally just as good but i just want to find info on the swap has it been done and how , i wanted to run my stock aw4 tranny so what about flex plate , how did you get it to shift and how does the exhaust and cooling look I know it must be tight thks guys this place seems to be the place to find out good info 88 xj 4.0 on 44 ,30 combo 4.88s

The AW4 computer looks for a signal from the TPS you woudl have to bypass that and get adaptors to run the AW4.

I had an aw4 I wanted to swap into my 5sp, and add a 203-205 doubler behind it but then I found a 350 with a th400-203 behind it, comparing a th400 to an AW4 youll be wanting the 400. If you have a stock NP231 thats not gonna last long behind the V8.

Aw4s are great but if they were that great youd see guys with big block suburbans swapping their EL60s or th400 with Aw4s and you dont.

If you go with a v8 get a v8 tranny and t-case.

The radiator size restraints with the XJ steering box are your largest issues for putting a v8 in an XJ. I pull the box and when with a hydraulic orbital valve and fit a nice big 27inX19in aluminum dual 1in core radiator for only $169 form summit. I couldent spend $650 for a be-cool radiator that fits in the XJ stock location and is still smaller then recommended for a v8.

My dual exhaust will be going through my sleved frame rails and into the rear fenders.

Carberators suck for anything more then flat groud driving. you get them off camber and a stalling engine will give you horse power compared to a fuel injected 4.0

My dual exhaust will be going through my sleved frame rails and into the rear fenders.

That should keep the carpet nice and toasty :laugh3:

old_man said:
That should keep the carpet nice and toasty :laugh3:

Whats carpet?

My tranny tunnel and floors are stainless steel, nuthing but suspension behind the front seats.

tranytunnel5_364.jpg

You can see the cat behind the Passenger seat belt the tube follows the rear fenders so I dosent interfear with the suspension thingies.
100_0590_s_180.jpg

Back