• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Stereo

ny_busboy

NAXJA Forum User
I want to replace my stock radio with an aftermarket. Does any body know how to take it out? Where to start? How to remove from the dash? A diagram will help a lot.

00072169.jpg

I'd wait on the head unit, go for one of the new ones that will be coming out that is bluetooth equipped, Jensen makes one now in the $250 range, should have mine next week. It will allow you to pair bluetooth devices to the radio with no wires like an Ipod, cell phone, mp player, etc...

As far a wire diagrams goes if you do it right you don’t need one.
Don’t hack your radio wires or the vehicle wires, get the proper adaptor connector.

is there a screw or something that holds the panel? I can't seem to just pull it out.

You arent pulling hard enough, pull untill it feels like it will break, then pull harder. I promise you, it pulls right off. I had mine off 20 times yesterday installing a 2005 Dodge Magnum stereo in my XJ, Pics to follow....

Last edited:
Littlewhitexj said:
You arent pulling hard enough, pull untill it feels like it will break, then pull harder. I promise you, it pulls right off. I had mine off 20 times yesterday installing a 2005 Dodge Magnum stereo in my XJ, Pics to follow....

Lets see those pics!

00074030.jpg

The cut looks really bad in the pic, but its not bad for doing it with a camp saw in a parking lot. Im going to finish it off with fiberglass and it will look really nice.

littlewhitexj,
the installation looks pretty good, I was planning on doing the same thing (different stereo). Just wanted to know if you used the Jeep/Mopar adapter (82207541) to convert the two 7 wire connector to the newer 22pin for your new setup. Did your stereo line up with the factory mounting points or did you make some modification in terms of mounting the unit in place. Thanks.

I installed the Jensen bluetooth am/fm/cd headunit with the scoche adatpers, both the plug and the faceplate, install time was about 20 min for soldering and heat shrinking the wiring adapter and another 20 min to remove, plug and install the new jensen. Noticed on cardomain.com that the price of my headunit dropped from $239 to $219 last nite.

yes, thats the adapter i used.
I had to cut some stuff behind the dash, and none of the mounts were correct. I used some screws and zip ties to hold it in. its kinda half assed, but you cant tell so its all good.

RichP said:
I installed the Jensen bluetooth am/fm/cd headunit with the scoche adatpers, both the plug and the faceplate, install time was about 20 min for soldering and heat shrinking the wiring adapter and another 20 min to remove, plug and install the new jensen. Noticed on cardomain.com that the price of my headunit dropped from $239 to $219 last nite.
Is the bluetooth just for phone calls or can you stream audio to it from a bluetooth enabled device, like a carputer? I was reading the description on the Jensen website and it only mentions the phone.

Back