• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help, Advice, Support, Info???

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
First off, here's my specs:

1992 XJ Laredo, NP242, Auto, 4.0

OK, starting a few weeks back, whever I would switch into full-time 4wd, I would get this strange clicking noise around turns (similar to the sound when you turn on pavement in part time 4wd). Anyways, the sound definately didn't sound good, so of course, I quickly tried to put it into 2wd, however, the noise remained when going around corners. It kind of seemed like the TC was stuck in Part Time 4wd. After some testing in gravel, I seemed to be in 2wd, yet the clicking remained. After a while of driving, the sound disappeared.

Anyways, long story short, everytime I try to go into 4wd, this situation continues to happen.

Not being sure what the problem was, I changed the gear oil in both diffs and the TC (Mobil 1). While I had the diff covers off, I inspected inside, and though I'm not an expert with this stuff, I didn't visually see anything that looked wrong.

This morning, I tried full-time 4wd again, and the same thing occurred...however, after putting it back in 2wd, I went home and jacked up the front of the Jeep with the wheels turned right since it was still making the clicking noise.

I was able to spin the driver side front tire freely, and the front drive shaft spun as well, and no sounds were heard.

When I got to the passenger front tire, it would not spin, and when I tried to spin it, it would make that clicking/clunking noise that I've been having. The sound seems to be coming from closer to tthe tire than from the diff, or TC (but I'm not 100% sure on that?)

While I had the wheels off the ground, I checked for play in the u-joints, but they seem to be OK.

Anyone have any ideas for me? I am completely lost, and don't know where to start.

Thanks for your help!

Did you check your passenger side front caliper to see if it's releasing ??

OK, spoke to a friend who I just found out also had this problem recently. He asked to to check if the wheel on the front passenger side was very hot after driving (compared to the others). Low and behold, it was! It was very hot! He says that it is the wheel bearings....does this sound right, before I spend the money on parts?

Generally the only two things that will get it hot are wheel bearings and a non-releasing caliper. See if the wheel bearings have any grease in them, if grease is there also look for any bits of bright shiny metal from the bearings selfdestructing, also wiggle the wheel, should be NO movement. I need to check mine also, it's been a long wet spring here in the North east and I was driving thru water on some roads that was fairly deep.

Back