• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooling line fix question

OKinNC

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 auto XJ 4.0 and while changing my motor mounts I noticed that one of the auto trans fluid cooling lines was smashed almost flat in one spot. I don't know if its the supply or return. It connect on the passenger side of the radiator. It looks like someone hit a pretty hard bump with the passenger side front wheel and the line was smashed on the lip of the oil pan. I haven’t had any problems with my tranny yet and don’t want any. My question is can I cut the smashed section (which is about 3” long) out and splice it with hydraulic hose and clamps?

OKinNC said:
I have a 1989 auto XJ 4.0 and while changing my motor mounts I noticed that one of the auto trans fluid cooling lines was smashed almost flat in one spot. I don't know if its the supply or return. It connect on the passenger side of the radiator. It looks like someone hit a pretty hard bump with the passenger side front wheel and the line was smashed on the lip of the oil pan. I haven’t had any problems with my tranny yet and don’t want any. My question is can I cut the smashed section (which is about 3” long) out and splice it with hydraulic hose and clamps?
Yes you can.

3/8" but I use 10 MM hydraulic line which is a touch bigger. If you use a file to round the outside edge of the line a touch after cutting, it may help avoid problems. Also oil the tube and the inside of the hose, before attempting to slide the tubing on. Double hose clamps on each end, though there really isn't that much pressure in there.
I've found all 3/8 ID and 10 MM ID hydraulic line isn't created equal, so you may want to measure to make sure. The inside diameter is sometimes a little tighter than advertised.

Back