• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack and tap

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering why the hack and tap is cheaper than the SYE kits. Does it have the same affect? Is it something that is easy (or fairly easy) to install? I'm putting in my RE 3.5 this weekend and planning on getting some sort of a SYE type unit when money allows. The guy at Rubicon express said that you could go 6 months without getting a SYE, you just have to put up with the vibes.

And a much stronger one.
hd%20sye.jpg

dont just put up with the vibes. fix it with an sye. either hack and tap or replacement shaft. i have a hack and tap and it works fine, install was easy too. just get a good bit to drill a pilot hole

jeepinxj99 said:
Just wondering why the hack and tap is cheaper than the SYE kits. Does it have the same affect? Is it something that is easy (or fairly easy) to install? I'm putting in my RE 3.5 this weekend and planning on getting some sort of a SYE type unit when money allows. The guy at Rubicon express said that you could go 6 months without getting a SYE, you just have to put up with the vibes.
Yeah, you could just ignore the vibes for awhile, and if they aren't bad enough maybe you could go 6 months. Then again, maybe they're bad enough to start excessive wear on your bearings and seals. If it gets REALLY bad, you might even get to see the inside of your bellhousing as you have to replace this:
aw4_2.jpg

Why is a Hack-n-Tap so much cheaper than most other SYEs? Because of the simplicity. On the 96+ XJ, the RE H+T lists for $88. On the earlier ones, because of the need for a seal and retainer with the H+T it lists for $190. Other SYEs like the PORC, AA, and similar are more expensive because you also purchase either a heavier replacement mainshaft or a pre-cut and tapped one (but you have to return yours for a core). Those also should include a replacement tailhousing to accomodate the larger mainshaft.

See http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/porc_sye.html for more.

I hope yours is not a 97 or newer. When I put a 3.5 on my 2000 the pinion angle was so bad I couldn't go more than about 20mph. It just sat in the drive way until I could do the SYE. You may want to wait until your ready to do the SYE if this is a daily driver. I went with the hack-n-tap also.

All i gotta say is spend the extra for the Advance Adapters SYE. I bought the RE Hack'n'Tap and ended up sending back my driveshaft. I went through 80 dollars in different drill bits and none would drill through my tailshaft. Spend the extra 200 or whatever it is and get the entire output shaft. Its much beefier, and in my opinion, a better option in the long run.

P.S install it yourself. The Advance Adapters comes with GREAT instructions and a shop charges out the a$$for labor.

:wstupid:
80$ in bits? i bought a 10 dollar bit for the pilot hole and then used the supllied
bit, and it worked great.

AA (or PORC) HD SYE is soooo easy to install and has sooo many advantages over the hack & tap... I've got a H&T + Driveshaft on my garage floor that is going to see eBay soon so I can get myself a real SYE. Bite the bullet and do the SYE right or you'll be kicking yourself (like me) later. Listen to the masses... I didn't the first time and I regret it.

TheNerd said:
AA (or PORC) HD SYE is soooo easy to install and has sooo many advantages over the hack & tap... I've got a H&T + Driveshaft on my garage floor that is going to see eBay soon so I can get myself a real SYE. Bite the bullet and do the SYE right or you'll be kicking yourself (like me) later. Listen to the masses... I didn't the first time and I regret it.

So what was wrong with it?

Back