• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing replacement

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
So I've searched for a bit and I can't figure this quite out.
I Have an 87 4WD 4.0 Comanche
Wheels are starting to wobble, bearings need replaced. Do I have to buy an assembly or can I just buy the bearing? I've got a d30 vacuum disco axle up front.
Advance auto website says I can just buy the bearing, but I see all this talk about replacing wheel "hubs"
I just wanted to know how much cash this is gonna cost, if it's cheap it will get done this weekend, if not, then it's ognna be after the AX-15 rebuild.
Also, I might as well ask 2 questions, I have an upper ball joint that's a bit loose too. Replaceable by someone with just hand tools and a bit of mechanical aptitude?

you technically can press out the old bearing and press new ones in, but it ends up being a headache. it's easier in the long run just to buy the new unit bearings. there is a guy on ebay that sells them mega cheap.

as for the ball joints you can either rent a press from advance/auto zone or buy the 30 dollar press at harbor freight and you can do it yourself if you have a decent sized breaker bar or impact.

ok, if I can find the whole hubs cheap I'll go that route.
I keep finding more things that need replacing on this thing. Today I found a leak in the clutch master resovoir.

Many have tried to press in new bearings to unithubs.........I have yet to hear of any who have succeeded (long term wear)

better off to buy used unit hubs or new...........by the time you pay a guy to pressin out the old and in the nwe you have spent the same as buing new ones anyway

I found the guy on ebay. Selling hubs for $55 with a 2 year 24K mile warranty. Prolly go that route.

Does this guy on ebay have more then one set? Also do you have a link? I searched ebay and couldnt locate them.

Whiloes I've got this topic open, From what I've read it's just a simple matter of beating the old one of with some old bolts in the rear of it. Then just bolt the new one up. Is there anything else I need to do with the axle shaft? Should I lube it, any seals to check. This will be my first time taking off the hubs, so please be gentle.

87manche said:
Whiloes I've got this topic open, From what I've read it's just a simple matter of beating the old one of with some old bolts in the rear of it. Then just bolt the new one up. Is there anything else I need to do with the axle shaft? Should I lube it, any seals to check. This will be my first time taking off the hubs, so please be gentle.
Replace the U-Joints also at this time.

ok. Will have to figure out which ones I've got.
Will I need any spicer tools for the u-joints, or is that only if you're taking them apart?

You'll need to remove the axle shaft from the hub = 36 mm socket, and breaker bar or air tools. For the hub bolts you "beat" on, you'll need a 12 pt 13mm socket (not 6 point) to remove them.
HTH,
Jeff

Back