• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Largest Fuel Tank in an XJ

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the largest OEM tank they made for the XJs? What years had them? I think I have a 16gal, but im not sure, With my engine and tires, I can usually make it from one gas station to another.
Also, does anyone make aftermarket tanks in the 25-30gal range
thanks
\\hoot

Hi there!

I know NWMP (North West Metal Products) make a tank for the Cherokee XJ, I have just recieved the package from a friend in Norway, and I'm gonna start installation in 30 min. Everything you need is in the kit, and some extra oparts. The tank holds 32 gal. of fuel, witch is a great improvement. Now I don't have to plan on where I'm going.... The tank itself and the kit is really solid stuff, and I'm sure this will last as long as my car lives. I know Rocky Road Outfitters sell a tank that's pretty close to the tank I have.

Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Modify yours!

Most stock tanks are 20.1 Gal (there were a few early with 13 gal) but there is a write up somewhere on cutting back the vent tube to increase the stock capacity to 24 - 24 gal. don't remember where I saw it but somebody probably will!

Bob is right. There is no 16 gallon tank for the XJ. 20 gallon has always been available, but in the early years the lower models (at least up through Pioneer level) had a 13 gallon tank standard. I don't know what year that stopped -- it was still true in 1988 because when I bought my Pioneer I had to pay extra for a 20 gallon tank (and it required a tire "upgrade" from the stock 195/75s to massive P205/75 Goodyear Vectors).

C o o l ! !
Well mine is an 87 Wagoneer so I guess it could have the larger tank from the tow package. Maybe it was 16$ I could put init(back when gas was .89, thats about the last time I really drove it)
thanks for the info

where can I get a plastic fuel tank for inside the back? that would be a lot of extra clearance

Back