• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cup Holders!

MG_43

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ, has anyone figured out how to make a place for cup holders in these, its a PITA without having a place to sit a drink (coffee or soda). Its an automatic.

TopViewofConsoleResized.jpg

My route to having better cupholders. Put a 97+ Console in! The 96- cupholders all suck, in my opinion.

BCParker said:
That's the cleanest center console/interior I've seen
and nice LEATHER
I appreciate that.

lilredwagn said:
Is it safe to assume that you replaced the parking brake with sunflower seeds because it would not fit with the 97+ console?
That's right....they serve a similar purpose, except I use the sunflower seeds more.

I've got three within reach - the primary is a cheap $0.99 clip-on that sits over the lip of the e-brake recess, nestled in between the front of the passenger seat and the console. I have to keep the seat all the way back so there's room, but it fits fine.

The other two are behind the seats, but within easy reach of my rear-seat passengers:
cupholder.jpg

I don't have any pictures, but I mounted some cheap little "euro" cup holder in my center console box. I used velcro to keep it on there. The lid of the console closes fine with a 12 oz. can. Anything else you've got to keep the lid open.

These work for me.

They basically cost me nothing since they were on a bike that has been in the garage for years.

Don't bother with the one from quadratec. It looks factory, but it is a piece of s##t. It never holds anything very well. I like the bike bottle holder idea. Play with some stuff and see whan works for you. Just stay away from the POS I have.

This is what I did for cupholders in the front of my 87.
2.JPG

the quadratec cup holder is better than nothing, but not much better. i will hold a can of soda, but not a 20 oz bottle, or a large paper fast food or quick stop style cup. mine turned into my phone and change holder, and so im still holding my bevrege in my hand or crotch, nice on a hot day but its a mixed blessing

DXJ said:
These work for me.

They basically cost me nothing since they were on a bike that has been in the garage for years.

DXJ,... that is elegantly simple. Nice job. 'wish I had been the one to think of that!

yardape said:
DXJ,... that is elegantly simple. Nice job. 'wish I had been the one to think of that!

Thanks. Sometimes it takes a simple mind to come up with simple solutions. Most days I'm the perfect man for the job.

MG_43 said:
92 XJ, has anyone figured out how to make a place for cup holders in these, its a PITA without having a place to sit a drink (coffee or soda). Its an automatic.
Another trick is to screw a bicycle bottle holder to the door. If you don't have electric windows, that large area that normally holds the switches works well.

Sorry no pix.
,Ron

What i did is i bought a few cup holders from a boat store (i live near the ocean) and i mounted them on the center console by the shifter. They fold up so they take up no room when there not in use. They can get a little annoying for the passenger though when theres cups in them. I'll try and post some pics later.

victor

Back