• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5'' Lift

leftyatm

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, I finally decided to lift my 01 XJ. I dont want to go any bigger than a 3.5'' lift with 31x10.50's. I dont want to do anything to extreme beacuse I am still a college student and dont have a whole lot of money to work with. Going with a 3.5'' lift, will that still allow my jeep to be reliable. It has 31,000 miles and I plan on keeping it for a long time. I want her to stay as reliable as possible for as long as possible. Now if you guys can offer any input as to what type of suspension kit to get or what tips and anything extra that will help in the life of my jeep i would appreciate it. Im going for the 3.5'' pro comp with the bfg m/t's or goodyear mt/r's. If you guys think other kits that are comparable in price and better let me know. Im up for any ideas. My jeep is a bare canvas, help me turn it into something sexyyy :)

Thanks guys
By the way I have an 04 suzuki gsx r 600 for sale with all matching equipment and many extras. Any inquries let me know. you can email me at [email protected]

Don't lift that Jeep. Buy an older one to turn into a toy. Your 01 XJ is too new and too few miles to start to lift when you are in college and money is tight. Wait til you are out of college. My roomate did the same thing you are talking about and ended up buying a car as a DD because gas prices are starting to hurt him. Good Luck with you decision.

Adam

Stay away from Pro-Crap and plan on a SYE kit.

I ordered my Rubicon Express 3.5 in. Super-ride last week. It should be here wednesday and i'll tell you how it ride and installs next weekend if you like.

thanks guys it gives me something to think about. Yes gas prices are ridiculous but I will be selling my bike soon and will have some extra cash to throw towards gas. I drive like a grandma and keep it as well as other vehicles i have had in the past mechanically sound so they get the best mileage they can. thanks id really appreciate it if you could let me know how the installation goes.

Another option would be a Budget boost and 30" tires, not as bad on fuel still got lift and tires my 01 had 21,000 on her when i put my BDS 3" on what ever you decide enjoy.

Just had a Rubicon Express 3.5 installed last week, could not be happier, stock suspension was shot, rear end was sagging, shocks sucked etc. my xj rides better now than it ever did. went with bfg at's on rock crawler rims. i grin everytime i look at her. wish i would have done it sooner!

SYE for a 3.5" lift?
Im running a junkyard mismatch 4" lift and I have no plan to get an SYE and dont need really need one. I'm not totally familiar with newer XJ's seeing that I have an 88 and 87 so I'm probably wrong but I dont think he really needs one.

the newer XJ 97+ you need an sye for 3" lift, but 84-96 you can probobly get away with 3.5"-4.5" before having to do one.

my friend has a 93 with a 3.5" lift and his driveshaft binds at full droop

if you want to be a cheapass you can probobly get away with using a 1" tranny drop on a 97+.. but i could be wrong

Hey guys. I'm sorry I am new to the four wheel drive scene. As I have been into fast cars lowered on the ground. I decided 4 wheel owns all! But I do not know what SYE means. And by the way while i will offroad it somes, she will never see full articulation or anything serious becasuse like i said she is my daily driver and i dont want to damager her out on the trail. I just wanna have her lifted and bigger meats just in case I have to use them ;).

Hemenechi said:
the newer XJ 97+ you need an sye for 3" lift, but 84-96 you can probobly get away with 3.5"-4.5" before having to do one.

my friend has a 93 with a 3.5" lift and his driveshaft binds at full droop

if you want to be a cheapass you can probobly get away with using a 1" tranny drop on a 97+.. but i could be wrong

I ran at 6" on my 87 without an SYE using a WK yoke (high angle like a YJ, but has a little harmonic balancer on it). Granted, that was a temporary solution for a month while I tracked down an SYE/CV driveshaft, but it worked out pretty good.

Re: 3.5'' Lift - why not go 2.5-3 instead?

I am currently riding with a 2" BB on a 2000XJ. Daystar coil spring spacers upfront keeping the factory isolator, and rear shackle with a 1" lift block. I got almost exactly 2" of lift up front, and just over 2" in the rear. I am still running the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's (245-70-16) that were on the Cherokee Limited wheels i bought, but plan on 245-75-16's when these are due for replacement. I believe that size averages out to about 30.5 x 9.5. I have no rubbing now, even at full lock, and there is no danger of them going into the wheelwell. With the 75 series, i suppose if i were going to disconnect my swaybars, i would need bumpstop extentions. Anyway, i have NO driveline vibes, and the Cherokee rides better than stock - especially with the new Skyjacker Hydro shocks and steering damper.

So my point is you can have a slick looking XJ with bigger meats with no drivetrain mods for $100. That is what the BB and lift block cost me. New.

Once you graduate, these would work great with a 3" leaf and coil to give you a 5" lift. Then you will need some mods underneath.

One man's opinion

Rob

There is soooooo much information on this board about SYE (slip yoke eliminator), 3" lifts, other requirements for a 3" lift, what tire fits what does not, Etc, etc.

Do some seriouse searching and spend hours ready info, perspectives, comments, etc.

Truth is that every jeep is different.

On yours, you should plan for a SYE to go along with the 3" lift. Maybe you can get by without it but do not plan on it.

3" lift looks very nice with 31's. You pick your favorite tires.

for a first timer I would buy a complete kit from RE or Rusty's or any other good reputation brand (good reputation on this board, not for full size trucks).

Are you installing it yourself? read more and you will find tons of suggestions on how to do it, what to do first, etc, etc.

Hope that helps,
Michael

thanks guys especially michael. yes i understand what you are saying. I just hear that the sye is expensive because not only do you ahve to buy a sye but you have to buy an extended driveshaft. and as much as i want to lift it i cant afford a whole bunch of mods. I will be lifting it myself, I am very familiar with cars and suspension and i have helped my cousin lift his 01 xj. He has the same lift i want to go with, a 3'' pro comp and said he doenst have a sye and doenst plan on it. he said he only has minor vibrations but nothing big. i dont mind minor vibrations i guess as long as it doesnt hurt the drivetrain, now if it hurts it i guess i better cowboy up and spend a lil extra cash. thanks again and im still up for any other ideas.

hey i called down to rubicon express and the guy said that you could go 6 months without getting an sye. i assume he means you just have to put up with the vibes. Thats for a 3.5 by the way

leftyatm said:
he said he only has minor vibrations but nothing big. i dont mind minor vibrations i guess as long as it doesnt hurt the drivetrain
There is no such thing as "minor" vibes,you are hurting the drivetrain.

Back