• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lca rub

What year is your xj?

EDIT: nvm, I just saw your user name, so its a 99 im assuming,
and you might have a little rubbing, I dont have much experience with the newer xj's but I used to have 31x105's on stock rims with barely any rubbing if any on my '88.

Last edited:
yes. adjust your steering stops and it will fix it though.

With 31s on stock rims you will lose 1/4 turn of the steering wheel in each direction. Stock setup is 3-1/2 turns lock-to-lock. With 31s you'll have 3 turns, limited by the rubbing. You can shim the steering stops, but after a few days you just become accustomed to when it's going to rub, and you just don't turn the steering wheel that far.

jeepinxj99 said:
what all can be done to fix the rubbing? i like the look of my stock rims. can i get new lca's? relocate anything? i dont want to rub!

olivedrabcj7 said:
adjust your steering stops and it will fix it though.

I have a 98 with a 4.5 with 32s and I rub on my sway bar bracket and not my LCA. I would like to know how to change the steering stops though.

The RE kit will reduce rubbing, if not eliminate it all together.

A cheap fix is to swap in some ZJ LCA's. They have an S bend in them, and they are the correct length.

Draw backs are: You will need to grind off a little of the mounting sleeve so they are not quite a direct bolt in. Plus they are fully boxed, so flex will be slightly reduced due to the stiffer construction.

I have done this swap for $20 and I am very happy with the results.

Just FYI

kscherokee said:
I have a 98 with a 4.5 with 32s and I rub on my sway bar bracket and not my LCA. I would like to know how to change the steering stops though.

Looking from the front of the vehicle, on the front of the outer knuckle just inside and below the tie rod end you will see a bolt that looks like it is threaded out a little. Probably will have a nut welded onto it.

Remove it, place washers behind it, and replace. Repeat on the other side.

HTH

FWIW, with my stock wheels and 31x10.5 MTs I added 2 3/8" washers to each stop.

john mitchell said:
A cheap fix is to swap in some ZJ LCA's. They have an S bend in them, and they are the correct length.

Draw backs are: You will need to grind off a little of the mounting sleeve so they are not quite a direct bolt in. Plus they are fully boxed, so flex will be slightly reduced due to the stiffer construction.

I have done this swap for $20 and I am very happy with the results.

Just FYI
I think you mean WJ.

'99-'04 WJ Grand Cherokee is the one you are looking for.

'93-'98 ZJ used a straight arm like the XJ.

HTH

i installed the RE 3.5" superflex kit on my 99. I have stock grand cherokee rims off of a 1998 V8 GC. I have 31" Dayton timberline MTs, and they rub pretty good on the LCAs that came with the kit. Don't bother putting all those little stickers on, they wont be there long. They also rub a little on the swaybar discos, but i didnt get them attached right away, and they were zip-tied up, so it may be that first trip to tellico that did it.

I'm like you, i like the look of my rims, and dont really feel like spending $ on new rims just to stop the rubbing which doesnt really bother me. I know you can get crager soft8's for like $30 a peice or something, so maybe i'll do that. But for now, i'll stick with my rims. If it really bugs you, and you dont like a $30 rim, you can always get a 1" wheel spacer or so. I dont know how anyone here feels about them. I dont see how they can be that bad, but most people just say do it right hte first time and get rims with proper backspacing. To each his own.

I have these bent lower control arms from Rusty's Offroad on my '88 xj running 32" MTR's on Wrangler "Grizzly" wheels with the stock 5.25" backspacing on 3.5" actual lift. There is absolutely no rubbing at full lock. They are beefy. I ordered them 16 1/8" long rather than the stock 15 3/4" at no extra charge to adjust for the lift. Two birds, one stone.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...s&Product_Code=CCA-1&Category_Code=sus_xj_par

JeepinKrannyMan said:
You could go with some wheel spacers, depending on your budget, I think they're about $130 from Spidertrax.
Wheel spacers are safe? Do they add that much strain on the steering when used with stock rims? I'm in the same boat. '00 is my DD so I'm just doing the RE 3.5 and 31x10.5 MT but want to keep stock wheels...for now.

JeepinKrannyMan said:
You could go with some wheel spacers, depending on your budget, I think they're about $130 from Spidertrax.

It would be just as cheap to buy new wheels in the correct backspacing.

Back