• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine light for 87 Wagon??

tthompson10

NAXJA Forum User
I'm curious to know if and where there is a check engine, service engine, or maintenance light for my Wagoneer??? I can't find one anywhere I've looked, including the cluster on the dash to the left of the guages??? Do I not have one?? I know I don't have OBD of any kind and I'm pretty sure that it's a Renix. 87 Wagoneer, 4.0l, A/T, tow package(if that helps) I thought an engine light of some kind would come on when I go to fire it up but the only light I get is a seatbelt reminder. Thanx... I searched the forums and some people say there is one for renix systems but I can't figure it our...

There is no Check Engine light for the '87. There is a light that says "Maintenance Required" as a reminder to change the oxygen sensor every 80,000 miles. This light is in that group of lights to the left of the instrument cluster. I don't recall which light it is (and IIRC the lights on the '87s are slightly different from those on the '88s anyway). Most people have long since either disconnected it or removed the bulb, because the factory says the timer cannot be reset (they lied, but that's what they said) and it's a fairly expensive little doohickie.

Back