• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj won't start. have spark and fuel..

bhorocks

NAXJA Forum User
ok, out wheeling and hydrolocked my motor. stupid me. replaced the motor and drained the fuel tank and it wouldn't start. wasnt getting spark. so i changed the coil and ignition control module didn't help. turned out to be the cps so i have a new one of those to. now i have spark but it won't start stil lso moved on to the fuel system. pressure is fine but even so my pump was under warranty so i replaced it anyways. new fuel filter had the injectors cleaned and tested. got a noid sensor to make sure they were firing and i am fine there. changed the fuel relay cuz i know when you turn on ignition the ecm controls the pump and on crank the relay does.

so now i have spark and fuel. but the thing wont start still. any help would definitly be appreciated. I don't beleive the ecm is bad cuz it has no symptoms of being wet and it still distributes power where it should. kind of getting ttired dof trying to get this thing rolling!

thanks.

oh, the knock sensor is dissconected but i read on these forums that is irelevant.

More than likely got the motor flooded with all the cranking. This is a common problem. Pull the plugs and crank the engine over a few times. Replace the plugs with a fresh set of the cheapest Champions you can buy. They work better and once plugs have gotten wet, even drying them out does not necessarily remove the film on them and causes them to misfire.

Back