• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift install problems

robert97xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing Rusty's bb w/aal, and I just snapped off two rear shock bolts on the same shock, currently pissed, and in need of assistance. Should I just complete the rest of the install and drive to Midas, I'm sure this happens alot there? how to get broken bolts out? The other two came off fine, so soaking them seems to have helped. Second question is, on the leaf packs there are clips holding the packs together, destroy to remove then install new? Any advice greatly appreciated by a newbie. I inherited the wifes jeep and I'm stoked.

Luckily I haven't had that problem with the shocks yet. You could get an EZ out, drill them out carefully and run a tap down them, and I think some people have drilled them completely though and put a nut on the back side somehow.

I can't remember what the stock retaining clips look like, but I think years ago I just scrapped them. I then bought new ones before putting it all back together. If at all possible I would take them off, install the AAL and then put the retainers back on.

Later,
Lincoln

For the bolts, drill them out and use a easy out and put new bolts in. If that does not work you need to find more "custom" solutions, there maybe others on the board who have other ideas.

I do not believe you can re-use the retainer clips from the stock pack (do not believe they will go back on with the aal) I just scrapped mine and left them off. You can can put new ones on (you should be able to get them in a veriaty of different places including a off road store or suspension shop. Personally I like the U-shaped ones that stop the packs from twisting but not from flexing. The stock clips wrap around the whole pack and limit the pack from flexing completely.

There only use is to stop the pack from twisting and taking out your tire (make sure you re-torque all of your bolts after a few miles if you leave the clips off).

Michael

As many can probably attest my opinion is the easiest way to do this is to drill them out and cut the rear area floor and put a nut on the back side. I hve done this not only on my XJ but also on three others recently it seems in my garage that no amount of PB Blaster will free up all the bolts there is always at least one that breaks. I like the idea of having a nut and bolt better for piece of mind IMHO. Some dont like to have to cut there floor but if you take the time to do it right it is no big deal. I did it on my buddies '00 and you could never tell once the carpet is back in. You can probably get away with the drill and easy out but I dont have the patience. Good luck I could snap some pics if you need.

WILDHORSE

I repositioned the shock a inch or so to the inside. there was just enough space to get a bolt through the hole in the crossmember.

I haven't had the problem with the shocks, but with my AALs I had to remove the stock clips and then purchase new ones. The ones I got were made by Rancho. I haven't been very pleased with them though, they limit the flex if you put them tight, they rattle and don't do their job if you loosen them, and they're not that thick so my leaf pack still moves around a little. Anybody have a better solution?

I initially snapped one bolt on each of my rear shocks. The only place that would even attempt to fix it was the dealer. Midas, CarX, and the local shop all declined. If you try to do it yourself, I would just drill it out and skip the ez-out. I've only had one succesfully remove the bolt, the other 2 times the ez-out snapped. then you have a piece of hardened steel stuck in there, good luck drilling that out. Chrysler drilled out and tapped the broken bolts and sent me on my way. Problem was about a week later the bolts on the r rear shock just broke as I was driving down my street at 35mph. Took it back and they fixed it for free, but this time they did the drill through and put a nut on the back of the bolt. It's held up so far. As for the spring clamps, yeah toss them. My rusty's 3in kit came with 2 clamps, so I installed one on each side. I imagine there should be 4 like stock, but I've been running it like that for 2 years and haven't had any problems except alot of squeaking on bumpy roads.

Regarding the upper shock mount, you have taken off the rear sway bar right. If so you can use the swaybar mount as a BPE and weld it to the unibody. Mine came out but rather than have the problem in the future I used my swaybar mounts as BPE's. Check out the Madxj site I'm sure there is something on it there, might even be something in the tech section here. If not PM me and I'll find it for you. FWIW if I had broken one off my plan was to drill it out and make an access hole in the floor and use nuts and bolts.

Madxj

When doing my lift all four of the bolts for the rear shocks broke off. And I drove across town a few times with no rear shocks. just dont go to fast, its hella bouncy. Me and my buddy took a large washer, then welded a bolt to that, then welded the washer right over top of where the holes were that were currently filled with the snapped off bolts. Its prolly a stronger mount now then it ever was. I have wheeled it tons of time banged her around and evne went out and tested the wleds 10 minutes after we did it. That was ack in april, no problems since.

Thanks to everyone who responded, no local shops would touch the problem, think I'll just drill through and bolt it up. BTW I had more than one shop tell me the shocks that I was installing were garbage (Rusty's). Thanks again

personally, when it hapened to me, i just drilled it out and helicoiled it. made ure to put some red locktite on the helicoil. its worked fine for me for a few months now.

busted shock bolts

I'm glad to see that I'm not the ONLY person who busted 75% of their bolts off :eek: ! I tried the heat & penetrant route, drill-out and easy-out...broke that off too! That gave me a good excuse to go buy a new Lincoln MIG welder ;) . Now I'm doing a crash course in FCAW and welding some 5/16" capscrews (looking down) in place of the broken bolts.
I use Anti-seize on everything!
BLUTO :)

robert97xj said:
Thanks to everyone who responded, no local shops would touch the problem, think I'll just drill through and bolt it up. BTW I had more than one shop tell me the shocks that I was installing were garbage (Rusty's). Thanks again

Wait 'till you use them for a semester. When I removed mine, you could compress them by just laying a finger on their top. Also, when you finally have them on your truck, grab the shocks near the area where the shaft goes into the shock's body and shake them laterally. You will (probably) notice that there is significant play at the axle.

Rgds

Back