• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help!!!

.40CalPatriot

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres the deal I took the rear sway bar off my xj for a few reasons. One it has a 3 in lift and really isnt doing that much, two the sway bar connection slammend into the tire well and bent the body and three I wanted better articulation. When my dad found out about this he freaked out on me and wants me to put it back on. The problem is I broke one of the bolts for it cause it was so rusted and I ended up just twisting it off. When he hears that he is going to freak even more. I know in many lift kit instructions it says that the rear sway bar is no longer needed and not to put it back on. I would like to show that info to my dad so he knows that it is no longer needed and I dont have to go through the trouble of getting a new bolt for it. I hope someone can give me a link or a picture of the instructions telling me that I no longer need the sway bar with my 3in lift so I can show my dad hard evidence that I no longer need it. I REALLY NEED YOU HELP!!!!

I have a 4.5" lift, I don't have the rear and I actually forget to reconnect my front one half the time. But here's a link http://www.rubiconexpress.com/instructions/rubiconexpress/RE6010E.pdf
Just show him right under Rear Axle instructions. It'll say "20. Remove the rear sway bar (this will not be reused)" Or even better it also says "35. Reminder: Do not reinstall the rear sway bar; it will not be reused."

Hope this helps and chills him out a little.

Mike

Search and show him all the threads that discuss swaybars: you will find that the rear one is not really needed and on the up country group jeeps it was not even included.

Best of luck!! This link above should help you out. All states are different but here in Washington as long as you have a lift installed for the appropriate vehicle it is legal, which means you do not legally have to have the rear swaybar. Not all states are the same, you might want to check.

More importantly, some cherokee's did not come with rear swaybars from the factory.

If neither work, have him drive it. Does he think it drives unsafely?

Believe it or not, some time parents are right:) And believe it or not, even if they are wrong, sometimes it is best just to do as they ask because you do still live in their house.

Again,
Good Luck,
Michael

Kejtar said:
Search and show him all the threads that discuss swaybars: you will find that the rear one is not really needed and on the up country group jeeps it was not even included.

yup

mine never had one

My dad thinks doing anything to a jeep (junky jeep as he refers) is a waste of time because we have older cars and he belives all time/effort/money should be put in those... But even my dad said that the rear sway bar can't be doiing much as small as it is..

for the most part a leaf spring setup doesn't really need a sway bar. leafs dont allow as much movement as some people think. on another note i think rear sway bars came mostly on xj with the towing package. my 86 didnt have one but my 91 does. the differnece is the tow package.

Back