• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drivetrain problem

60thAnivrsryXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Last week my cherokee started acting funny. Monday I noticed the gas pedal and brake pedal were stiffer, the steering was stiffer, the jeep seem sluggish (slower acceleration, and upshifts at higher rpm than before), and it makes some bad sounding noises (coming from somewhere in the front drivetrain, I think) whenever I make a sharp turn. From all that it is my belief that it is a 4wd related problem. Oh, and also today my check engine light came on and I am sure it is related to this problem. Tomorrow at work I will hook up a scantool and read the code(s), but for now this is all the information I have. My jeep is an '01, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, Dana 30 front axle, dana 35 rear, if any of that helps. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment anyone can provide for this situation.

I would look at my motor and trans mounts. Get back with us and let us know what you find.

Back