• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low power

Erik Litchy

NAXJA Forum User
i have a slight miss. this just started yesterday. it really doesnt want to start easily. spark plugs look spot-on. its really bad from 2.8-4000 rpm when driving. at idle its smooth but can be heard from the exhaust. also when i was reving it parked i heard a small backfire in the intake once. its also down on power. idles smoothly.

i tried
-new dist cap made no diffrence.
-replaced ballast resistor
-i threw in a bit of fuel injector cleaner and octane boost and it only slightly helped
-the injectors are like about 3-4 years old. ford 24lb ones.
-i pushed in the shrader valve in the fuel rail and air came out. this is when its in hard start mode. i tried again and more air. tank is full, and i can hear the fuel pump running, sounds same as always.
-fuel rail is just lukewarm too, shouldnt be hot enough to vapor lock

sidriptide said:
air out of the fuel test port when? when the pump is running? pump may be crapping out. replace the fuel filter.

right after it stops turning over, engine off. it wont run unless the engines turning over it stops after a few seconds after i leave it in on.

fuel filter is less than 6 months old

There should never be air coming out the fuel test port. If there is, air is getting sucked up through the pump. Since there is pressure on the fuel line, there is no way air can get sucked into that pressure line. Either the fuel level is really low, or the pickup on the pump has gotten messed up so that the inlet of the pump can get air in. I have seen wierd things when the short hose from the pump to the mount is cracked or off as well.

Back