• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden engine stoppage

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Not so sure where this goes, modified or stock, but seeing how I have a modified engine (well, sorta) I'll put it here.

Ok, here is what I've got. 4.0L (118,000miles), 99xj, AW-4, 8.25 & D30 (4.56), aftermarket tranny cooler, 180*t-stat, K&N, Doug Thorley header (small crack at the lower collector), 2.25" exhaust all the way back, Flowmaster SUV performance muffler, stock CAT, Accel super coil, 8mm plug wires, Champion (OEM) spark plugs), 6" FT lift, 35x12.50BFG muds.

Here is my problem. Driving my jeep, I've noticed that sometimes I have a sudden stoppage of my engine, like you just turned the key off. The RPM's drop, no power, all is quiet (like NO motor sounds), then all of the sudden, less than a second later, it starts back up like normal on its own and keeps on trucking. NO idea what it is at all. It generally does it from while accelerating ( around 25-30MPH) but it has done it at speed (65-75mph cruising). It has most recently done it when I accelerated hard and it just died and stayed dead for a good second and then just like before, on its own started up again and kept going. Oil press I haven't noticed dropping, neither have I payed any attn to my battery, but I don't think those are the problems. It does it when the motor is warm and when its cold, so I don't think its a temperature related problem either. I am not out of gas as it did it this evening when I had 1/4 tank of gas in it. Any ideas? Don't really know where to even start troubleshooting, but any advice would be awesome, thanks.

I'd start by checking the connector for the CPS.

CPS? is that the computer on the drivers side in the engine compartment?

CPS = Crankshaft Position Sensor. It's on top of the bellhousing, on the driver's side, and has a short pigtail that's probably run through a clip at the rear of the fuel rail.

CPS tells the computer when to fire the spark plugs. If it's not sending signal, there's no fire.

CPS failures are not uncommon in the least, but your failure doesn't sound like the classic failure mode.

just put a pressure gauge on the rail? will that do?

Back