• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

r 8 liter V6

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
2.8 liter V6

i have the gm 2.8 and i was wondering if i could pull parts from the s-10 or the blazer or any Gm's that use this engine or if jeep added there parts to the gm block please help me thanks

and also i need to know the vaccum lines go my under hoods are a mess and it was an old park ranger jeep so theres fuse blocks and solinoids that look like they go nowhere if anyone can help its not a big problem but if its not needed i dont want it and the vac lines may need to be hooked up to run right and if anyone has parts for an 1985 2 dr

Last edited:
Re: 2.8 liter V6

As far as I know the 2.8 should be the same in both. AMC bought the assemble 2.8 from Chevy. It is possible that 1 or 2 of the bolt ons might be different, but I doubt it.

ight i was talking about carb and distruber and minor stuff probally no pulleys or belts cause here in the junkyards there are no 2.8 lt jeeps only the 4.0 and 2.5 well thanks for the help

how much the same edenticl or close as in block and carb other parts and do u know how i can clean up under the hood (ditch whats not needed)

Mothertrucker said:
how much the same edenticl or close as in block and carb other parts and do u know how i can clean up under the hood (ditch whats not needed)

Ditch the 2.8, its not needed.

I think but am not positive that Jeep used a carb motor after GM had already switched to TB injection. Components related to whats on the block should be the same.

Mothertrucker said:
(1) Buy a factory service manual; or

(2) Find another '86 XJ (or MJ) in stock configuration, open the hood, and take lots of pictures.

Your question isn't making sense. Are you asking if the engines are the same (yes, they are) or are you asking if all the stuff under the hood is the same (no, it isn't)?

im asking if i can swap parts if i need to cause i only have chevy s 10s and blazer 2.8 at the junk yards round here and if i need to get a part would i be wasting my time pullin it off a chevy truck and i was asking what i could get rid of under the hood to clean up

Pull the 2.8 boat anchor you have and put in a 3.4 from a Firebird. Use a later 2.8 TBI unit from an S10 and put 4.3 injectors on the TBI unit so it won't run lean on you. This swap has been done a million times it seems. There was one in the for sale section not long ago. The 2.8's that Jeep bought from GM had badly designed rear bearings, the GM units have a better setup.

Back