• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would the TeraFlex LA be a good daily driver setup?

BeJay1981

NAXJA Forum User
I'm researching lift kits for my recent purchase of an 01 and came across the TeraFlex LA (sorta, haha) setup. This will be my daily driver and I'm looking for a "near stock" type ride with about 4-5 inches of lift. All out flex isn't a top concern but I'd like it to be somewhat respectable.

Any issues with DW? Front end vibes? Does the front end feel solid?

I had a 93 with 5 inches, short arm, and the ride was too rough for a DD, in my opinion.

The TNT, RE, and other type of LA lifts appear to me to be more towards off road only type use, not for a DD. Plus my budget won't support them.

Drop brackets are also a possibility but will they be effective with only 4 inches of lift?

I actually have the TeraFlex 4" LA setup on mine and I've been really happy with it. The XJ handles well on and off the road. The LAs also give it quite a bit of flex offroad. The front end feels tight and I've been driving with this setup for about two years. Not driving as much now that I've got the bigger tires. Stock gears + 31s + Colorado mountain roads is not a good combination.

I think the aftermarket dropped trackbar helps quite a bit by maintaining the proper angles there as well. The only thing I might have changed is the shocks I put on it. I've got OMEs rated for a Suburban. Makes the thing handle corners and emergency maneuvers pretty well, but you can feel the road a lot more.

Bill Moore (before the 31" tires)

Some other shots

I have the Full Traction at 6" and it would be great for a daily driver. I had an 01 with the RE 4.5 and it rode much "stiffer". Now, that may be too high, but I must say, it's a smoother ride in my opinion.

BeJay1981 said:
With that LA setup do you have to remove the stock LCA mounts on the framerail?

Yep, the stock LCAs are removed. The crossmember is also cut down in order to make room for the LA brackets. If I have time oneday, I would love to design a crossmember that combines the brackets and a t-case skid into one piece. In the meantime, this setup does just fine.

BeJay1981 said:
Drop brackets are also a possibility but will they be effective with only 4 inches of lift?

I've run DB's from 3.5 to 6.5 inches and still think this was the smart move since none of the stock control arm mounts needed to be removed and no special crossmember is needed. The control arm angles are just about perfectly horizontal at 4-4.5 inches of lift, ensuring a comfortable ride.

They are also easier to install and can use your stock control arms, reducing your initial cash outlay.

I haven't been disapointed with the flex either. I'm running about 6.5 inches, well trimmed and 33's and this rig just about anywhere I point it.

Back