• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackles, spacer

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
do shackles and spacers reduce life of springs? What do you recommend for a 3.5 RE super ride lift im looking for around 4-4.5 in. of lift. what type should i look into?

Last edited:
jeepinxj99 said:
do shackles and spacers reduce life of springs? What do you recommend for a 3.5 RE super ride lift im looking for around 4-4.5 in. of lift. what type should i look into?
It depends on the orientation of the shackle on a particular vehicle, whether or not it will lift or lower that vehicle.
On XJs a shackle set will lift it.

Spacers will usually only lift a vehicle.

I reccomend a set of 1.5" shackles and 1" to 1.5" coil spacers for the amount of lift you are trying to achieve.

Don't forget, however, the other little things like CAs, TB, and shocks etc.

HTH

Im doing the same thing adding to my BDS 3" looking for 1" front and rear any suggestions on brand and type of shackles ,spacers, and control arms.
Thanks

I added Rusty's 1.75" shackle and spacer kit on top of my rustys 3" kit. However, to get everything to play nice on my DD I also had to add a new track bar, remove the rear sway bar (you may have already) and added front discos. I didnt need discos in the front but I did need longer swaybar endlinks. I also ended up needing to shim the rear to fix driveline angles, a sye would be even better. I could probably benifit from longer shocks, but I am waiting till these ones are worn out. I didn't have any issues with the stock CAs, dont know if I was just lucky or maybe it would be a benefit I should look into. I could fit 32s right now with no or minimal trimming, but Im saving up for the 33s and gears.

Anyother words of wisdom oh great XJ gods, LOL

I'd reccomend ACOS in front, and a shackle in the rear!

that way you have adjustability

alright so here is my choices.........

i have already ordered the RE 3.5 in. super-ride kit and it is to be delivered this coming wednesday.

Should i just do this lift and throw 31's on the stock wheels.

Or, should i wait a few more weeks and get spacers and shackels to fit 32's with black rims.

This is my first jeep and lift, im dying to lift it. If i wait and end up with around 4-5 in. of lift i will have to get an sye almost immediately while with the 3.5 i can wait until money permits.

With the 3.5 is it noticably lifted? Ive heard good things about RE so im hoping this all works out.

If i were u i'd go ahead and get the tires i wanted.. i wish i would have went ahead and trimmed my fenders and got 33's instead of wasting the money on 31's because that money could have bought my gear swap!

well see i really dont want to mess with the gears or get real into the most expensive things. This is my DD and it has to last me a really long time. its a 99 with 84000 miles, should have alot of life left in her.

I think what i might do is put in the 3.5 and maybe a .75 in. spacer and 1 in shackle and go with 31's

jeepinxj99 said:
well see i really dont want to mess with the gears or get real into the most expensive things. This is my DD and it has to last me a really long time. its a 99 with 84000 miles, should have alot of life left in her.

I think what i might do is put in the 3.5 and maybe a .75 in. spacer and 1 in shackle and go with 31's

If your planning on never re-gearing, I'd stick with the 31s. I know I wouldn't want the gas milage of a DD with 32/33s and 3.55 gears!

However, if there is even the slightest chance that you might re-gear latter on. Do yourself a favor and get the setup you want (4.5" and 32s) that why you won't have to buy tires again later (well until they wear out...).

Back