• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment?

BostonJeepDriver

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put a 2-3" lift into my '96 XJ. Question:

How will I get an alignment after the lift? Will the specs be the same? Place I go has a computerized system that refrences the factory specs. Will this work. Will I need to know new specs that they can dial in? How will I find these specs? Thanks.

Specs are specs,lift has nothing to do with it!

In general, RCP Phx is correct. If you go to 2" you should be able to dial in factory specs.

Keep in mind that the front axle is a single assembly. The higher you lift, the more you change the operating angle of the u-joint at the pinion end of the front driveshaft. (Sure, you change the other end, too, but that's a double cardan joint and it'll handle it.) With the double cardan upper joint, the pinion u-joint should be operating at as close to zero as possible (not to exceed 1 degree, preferably). Beyond a certain amount of lift, the only way to obtain this operating angle is to scrap the factory spec for caster. If you run a search on Death Wobble and read some of the threads, you'll see many references to the fact that the caster adjustment on a lifted XJ has to be a compromise between what's best for the wheel alignment, and what's best for the driveshaft.

I didnt mention anything about the pinion angles because thats a separate issue(and of little concern at that lift).Nobody knows compromise better than us newer XJ owners.Ive got the new low pinion D30,and Im just getting ready to replace the front driveshaft at 15000 miles.Luckily with my new long arms Im running a lot less castor and alot more pinion angle now with no problem!

Back