• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help installing gauges??

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
need some input
89 4,0 xj
installing aftermarket gauges

-anyone know where to install the coolant temp probe(dont wanna remove a sensor that will distrupt the comp.)
Also-where to run the oil pressure line??
Thanks!!!

For the oil pressure guage.

Remove the oil prssure switch from the filter housing and install a tee. Then re-install the original switch and the sender for the aftermarket guage.

Oil pressure measure does not rely on the volume of flow past the sender, however it will for the temp. I have no suggestion for the after market temp sender.

good luck,
Tom

I mounted a T to the factory temp sensor on the Tstat housing. It's ugly, but functional.

Just saw you have a older one. If you haven't done the open conversion, get a 91+ Tstat housing and attach the prob into that.

alrighty, thats a good start. im really more interested in the coolant temp. At least my oil pressure idiot light works. but, im not sure how hot its getting right now. Anyone know if there is a sensor i can remove to install the temp probe? the one for the stock gauge is on the top drivers, back side of the head by the valve cover but the hole is way to small for the probe....uh..yep.

Yes, the 91+ have a sensor mounted near the top. My autometer sendor was the same thread. I had to T it with the stock one, but you can just use that port. The same sensor on yours is in the rad.

water temp - use the sensor that is at the back of the block where the intake hits the head...

and the oil pressure - is near the oil filter

more info and pics on my site

http://www.opiebennett.com/Gauge.htm

XJ_ranger said:
water temp - use the sensor that is at the back of the block where the intake hits the head...

and the oil pressure - is near the oil filter

more info and pics on my site

http://www.opiebennett.com/Gauge.htm

Here's the temp sensor you're lookin for, taken strait from the site
Temp%20Sender%20Outline%20IMG_9297.JPG

say balloo93, I'm trying to put in an aftermarket coolant sender and the probe won't fit in the rear. I see that you put a T on the tstat housing to plug in both. Do you have a pic of that, reason I ask is the probe on mine is very long so a T wouln't work unless it is a large one

Back