• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ripped the Carpet up

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, this is just like lettin ya'll know what i did. I ripped the carpet out by pulling out only the front and rear seats. most of it comes out pretty easily. most people like rhino liner and what not and are always looking for alternatives that are cheaper. a buddy of mine used something for his zj and it looked bad, like no grippy stuff (that was the technical term). Anyways, i went to walmart and found this stuff called duplicolor bedliner. IT WAS ONLY $40 DOLLARS (not at all redundant). anyway, this stuff worked. put about four coats on and it is SMOOTH!!! just thought i'd give everyone the heads up. o yeah, so prep work: seats out, sand paper to get the loose peeling paint and some of small amounts of rust on the floor of my '91, a small vaccuum, and then some mineral spirits for the dirt, ANTS, and oil i found under my carpet. it's not too loud either... anyways, i like it. just my .02

do you have any pics, I was thinking of using that stuff too.. did it come in a spary can? or do you paint it on? how much do you get for $40?

jeepinxj05 said:
Anyways, i went to walmart and found this stuff called duplicolor bedliner. IT WAS ONLY $40 DOLLARS (not at all redundant). anyway, this stuff worked. put about four coats on and it is SMOOTH!!!
FYI, the duplicolor bedliner doesn't seem to hold as good as herculiner.
Also, I think I ended up paying only $50 after rebate for the whole herculiner kit (1 gallon +pan +brush + roller).

Anyways, how long did you allow it to dry? From my experience with both, you'll want to give it good few days so that it really starts to harden before you use it so that it doesn't get damaged too easily.

i waited like a day and it's awesome. ill get pics up when i can. i used a paint brush to put it on and it had some awesome texture to it. it was 40 bucks for the gallon, and i have like at least half left... next stop, the ceiling!!!

I have simliar stuff , Its a rockerguard from canadian tire...pretty much the exact same as the duplicolor, just different can.. I did all 4 wheelwells and the back part of the floor with it, works pretty good.

Last edited:
i used dulicolor twice on 2 different xj and it lasted only 6 months. it started to peel really bad! my new xj i used herc. i will never use dulicolor again what a waste of $$$.

I used the Duplicolor on my bumpers and rock rails because it's easy and looks good... down side is that it doesn't hold up real well. It's more like paint than real bedliner stuff.

Back