• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gusseting tubing.--- Questions.

myjeepsbigger

NAXJA Forum User
As some of you may know, I had a friend that was kind enough to destroy my XJ for me.....so now I'm looking at saving the firewall [forward] and floorpan....hoping to create some kind of buggy. The main structure will be tubed, similar to FarmerMatt's. My question is, what is your opinion on gusseting tubing joints with plate steel (3/16 or so), rather than tubing. I really like that look...just interested how it compares in strength to tube gussets. Kind of seems like it may concentrate stresses in a smaller area, but I'm no engineer.

Please discuss.

-Damon

wrekkd5.jpg

As stated by Ed A. Stevens a while back, a gusset is solely added to gain weld area at bends/intersections.

If Ed said it, you can take it to the bank.

I personally like the looks of the gussests over tube in the corners as well. Im sure the gussests can be as strong if not stronger then the tube. Plus its easier to weld a straight line and get a good bead instead of trying to weld around the tube unless your familiar with it.

jeep_87_cherokee said:
did your xj run off of Propane or is that a keggar in the back???

Waverly huh? You should think about wheeling with us. My farm is just south of Nortonville. I know a few people from your area....

It's a keg gas tank. Redneck, I know.

i'm no expert but the idea behind puting in a gusset is to make more weld area thus making the joint stronger. i have read that tube gussets produce stiff spots away from the joint an sometimes the gusset will fail. check out the rules and guidelines of building cages for drag racers they spell out to the T what can and cannot be done and those cages are designed to handle 200mph+ crashes.

binks off road said:
Did your friend get drunk and smack your truck with the rear bucket of a backhoe? OWCH.

I wish it were that simple.

Anyway, thanks for the input, guys. I started chopping last night....she's down to the floor pan already. Time to get out the jackstands and start building.

Back