• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon axle d44, it's a real d44?

marcoleo

NAXJA Forum User
My friend have installed the rubicon axles on his car with 35", after few months has start with the first failure, broken front shaft (760); never had problem before with 33" on d30/35.
Is the rubicon d44 strong like the others?

It's a d44 center section with d30 tubes and everything else inner C out. I don't think it's really worth the upgrade, since the jump from a HP30 R&P to a LP 44 isn't that great strength wise. Gaining bigger breaks, beefier hubs, and bigger tubes are all reasons to go 44 that aren't on the rubi version.

so you mean anything outside the differential box is like the d30?
Plus have the handicap of lower pinion, so bad way to upgrade!!

sorry I've forgot.
But you say "inner axle shaft" but what about the outer half is like d30 or d44?
That because two other of our club, with rubi44, has broken the shorter outer shaft and loose the whell (not completely)

Last edited:
The outer shaft, knuckles, unit bearings, brakes, and all that stuff are all d30 parts. Since the 95+ d30 and d44 axle shafts use the same u-joint, you can have an inner d44 shaft and an outter d30.

the obivous advantage is the air locker...

unless i am missing something...

ya it have the locker but at this point is better an F150 + ARB + a bit of work on the axle.
Reading above I guess the only advantage on rubi is that is straight bolt in.
The big problem here in italy is to find the donor car, not so easy at the junkyard; most of the d44 are imported from usa.

how did he get rubicon axles on a "car"???:dunno:

I've called "car" because isn't an XJ, but is a TJ.
We have imported the axles, with some other parts last June, we had spare space in a container directed to us.

That wouldn't be a bad axle if you can get it fairly cheap, then match it up with a 29 spline 8.25 from 97'+ XJ or XJ dana 44 rear axle. Just don't spend alot on it, like over $1000 USD or so and consider it a built hp30 because that is basicly what it is. With the air lockers, 4:10 gears, 30 spline inner shafts, and ease of install (bolt in)...it isn't a bad axle to put in your XJ, but it isn't a true dana 44 with the bigger ball joints, manual hubs, stronger housing, bigger brakes, etc etc.

Troy

I guess the solution for stronger outter shaft is to install a superior 27 spline, otherwise to solve also the risk to loose the wheel, in case of breakage, is possible to use the Warn conversion-hub.
What you think?

marcoleo said:
ya it have the locker but at this point is better an F150 + ARB + a bit of work on the axle.
"bit of work"?
bit of understatement.

marcoleo said:
I guess the solution for stronger outter shaft is to install a superior 27 spline, otherwise to solve also the risk to loose the wheel, in case of breakage, is possible to use the Warn conversion-hub.
What you think?
Or just knock the inner C's off and put on CJ inner C's and then you can run D-44 outers. I would think you could do it with used parts and pay a fair bit less than buying a new hub conversion kit.

043500 said:
Or just knock the inner C's off and put on CJ inner C's and then you can run D-44 outers. I would think you could do it with used parts and pay a fair bit less than buying a new hub conversion kit.

That and trussing the weak axle tubes.

kid4lyf: yeah isn't a bit better to say big work! Sorry for my poor english.

Thx all for the info/suggestions, now I know the way to go.

Yes you can use the Warn hub conversions on the rubi axles. The hub conversions are built for Dana 30 axles and like what was said above, rubi axles are Dana 30s from the center section out. Just remember you will have to get new rims because of the different bolt pattern (5 on 5 ½”). If you are running a Rubicon axle, you have a selectable air locker, so why do you want manual hubs?

the idea to put the warn conversion is because in this way, if I broke the outter short shaft (happened 3 times), I don't risk to loose the wheel

Back