• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switching To An External Slave Cylinder

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
What parts are required to switch to an external slave cylinder on a '91 XJ with AX15 and 4.0L. I'm putting an NV3550 in there and the slave cylinder is shot. I'd like to do this conversion while the trans is out. Thanks.

I swapped a 2001 NV3500 into my 88' MJ.

I used the NV's original one piece plastic master/slave combo.

The bolt patturn is wider on the late model master, so I drilled 2 new holes on the firewall to bolt it on. (I also had to cut the old mounting studs off, since they were in the way).
With the new patturn, it just bolted on, and worked fine.

I may end up beefing up the firewall where I drilled the new mounting holes, since it's not reinforced like the original clutch mounting studs were.

Thanks for the info. I figure I should be fine if I just purchase the whole setup direct from Mopar with the fluid in it and bled already. It's almost plug and play from what I hear?

GhostDakota said:
Thanks for the info. I figure I should be fine if I just purchase the whole setup direct from Mopar with the fluid in it and bled already. It's almost plug and play from what I hear?
I think you need the correct bellhousing also.

I've got the NV3550 w/ the bellhousing etc. It's from an '01 XJ so should be fine if I get the setup for an '01.

langer1 said:
I think you need the correct bellhousing also.

If you didn't want to replace the master cylinder you could order the pin to threaded hard line converters from Advanced Adapters and have a line built by a local hydraulic hose shop. I went with a stainless line from a local hose shop when I upgraded my '88 to a late model AX-15 with an external slave cylinder. I didn't trust the plastic lines and I didn't want to redrill my firewall for a different master cylinder. The only issue I see, is that you would want to make sure the old master cylinder moves enough fluid to work the new external slave. Good Luck.

Woody

Wa Woody said:
If you didn't want to replace the master cylinder you could order the pin to threaded hard line converters from Advanced Adapters and have a line built by a local hydraulic hose shop. I went with a stainless line from a local hose shop when I upgraded my '88 to a late model AX-15 with an external slave cylinder. I didn't trust the plastic lines and I didn't want to redrill my firewall for a different master cylinder. The only issue I see, is that you would want to make sure the old master cylinder moves enough fluid to work the new external slave. Good Luck.

Woody

I thought about doing this.
Probably a better solution, since you don't have to replace both the master & slave when just one quits.

In the end, I had the 2001 parts, so I just used them.

Back