• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I did on the way home

MJR

NAXJA Forum User
On the way home I spent the night in Vegas (thanks Andy for putting me up). The next morning after breakfast I headed out at around 10am. So along the way I said why not run part of the Mojave Road from Baker through Afton Canyon and across Soda Dry Lake. So I got off the 15 Frwy and headed along a fence around Soda Dry Lake to find the entrance to the path. I found it and proceded across Soda Dry Lake stopping for a few photos and at the monument to look at the plauge. Then on through Afton Canyon and back onto the 15 Frwy and home.

http://www.gotgroceries.net/PartoftheMojaveRoadonthewayhomefromMoab101005/index.html

I was keeping track of fuel mileage out to and back from Moab. Here's the surprising numbers for a XJ on 35's and 4.88 gears.

From Primm, NV (Stateline) to Moab, UT 17.3 mpg
From Moab, UT to Richfield, UT 16.7 mpg
From Richfield, UT to Las Vegas, NV 18.6 mpg
From Las Vegas, NV to Norco, CA 16.9 mpg (includes 38 miles off road on the Mojave Road parts in loose sand)

photo2.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo19.jpg

photo22.jpg

photo25.jpg

Mike R

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. JIM.

I like the train pic. Was it sitting still or did you have to time it?

Willy

Mike,

Didja mean "plaque" or "plague" ...... the latter doesn't sound real enticing....

What's the story behind the monument (pile of rocks) and whatever that piece of metal burried in the rocks is that you took a photo of?

YELLAHEEP said:
Mike,

Didja mean "plaque" or "plague" ...... the latter doesn't sound real enticing....

What's the story behind the monument (pile of rocks) and whatever that piece of metal burried in the rocks is that you took a photo of?

Damn spell checker (my brain) oh well you are right. Andy Steiner could give a better explaination than me but the jist of it is as you cross you are suppose to bring a rock to add to it. The plaque is something you have to read when you stop there. Its suppose to be a mystery and for some reason you can't read the words in the photos. :D

Mike R

YELLAHEEP said:
What's the story behind the monument and whatever that piece of metal burried in the rocks is that you took a photo of?
The original group of people that developed the Mojave Road as a four wheel drive recreational trail were the the Associated Blazers of California, Dennis Casebier (author of Tales of the Mojave Road and Guide to The Mojave Road) and other assorted wheelers who all termed themselves Friends of the Mojave Road or FOMRs.

The original Mojave Road was a walking trail for the Mojave Indians to travel from their agricultural lands on the flood plains of the Colorado River to Los Angeles in order to trade with the Chumash Indians. The trail went from spring to spring across the desert. The longest stretch was from Marl Springs, through the Cowhole Mountains to Soda Springs. Soda Springs in now known as Zzyxz, a rather quizical off ramp on the road from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. In order to get to Soda Springs, one must cross Soda Dry Lake (or as I like to call it, Soda Not-So-Dry Lake. See: Now THAT"S a mud pit! for my reason why.)

When two of the FOMRs were proofing the original draft of Guide to The Mojave Road, they found themselves almost hopelessly stuck in the chocolate pudding that exists just below the crust of the lake bed. One CJ was sunk up to its rear windows and it took an all day effort to free it, including a mile long walk to the edge of the lake bed, to the old berm of the Tidewater-Tonopah Railroad line to retrieve a tie to bury as an anchor. (The 8 hours in the acidic mud of Soda Dry Lake took its toll on the CJ as within six months, the entire rear suspension had rusted away.)

A dry lake is caused when a river has no outlet to the ocean. This is the case with the Mojave River which collects the snowmelt from the north side of the San Bernadino Mountains. The Mojave River empties into Soda Lake. For most of the year, there is a crust on the surface thick enough (in some places) to drive on. The FOMRs found such a path and Dennis wrote that into the final edition of the Guide.

A successful crossing of Soda Dry Lake seemed like such a momentous event, that it became important to celebrate it in some way. It turned into tradition for the FOMRs to carry a rock from along the Mojave Road and deposit it once reaching frim ground at the south end of the lake bed. After a few years, they discovered their growing monument had disappeared, having been dismantled by eco-do-gooders. The FOMRs decided that something more permanent was required to prevent another such occurance, so they returned with a whole lot of cement and installed a plaque that hopefully, would not be removed. And so far, it has not been removed. And as evidenced from Mike's photos, the monument has grown quite nicely around it.

Tradition states that only those who have braved a crossing of Soda Dry Lake be entitled to know the mystery of what is written on the plaque. Tradition also says that those of us who do know what is written on the plaque not reveal the secret. You must make the crossing to learn the secret yourself.

Very cool! Thanks Andy!

Great! Now I have to find time to travel half way across the country to figure out what is on this plaque. :laugh3:

Willy

looked fun mike, andy if i make it out your way you'll show me around right :laugh3:

besides your alot closer now:D

jmaxj said:
andy if i make it out your way you'll show me around right
besides your alot closer now:D
I am?

Back