• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front ds always spins

AZ XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm hoping somebody can help me with this, my front driveshaft will not spin freely with the transfer case in 2wd, and the tranny (auto) in neutral. It is the same with the t-case in neutral. The part time light comes on when i shift into 4 hi and 4 lo, and goes off in 2wd and neutral. I'm trying to diagnose some front end wobble and I think that the driveshaft spinning might be causing it. I'm also not real sure about how the vaccum egagement for the hubs work, could my hubs be locked and causing my front driveshaft to spin? I really need some help on this. Thanks in advance.

you dont have any vucum lines, or disconects, your drive shaft is always conected to the frt wheels so thats why it wont spin.

You can take off your front ds and see if the vibes are still there.

you talkin about the shaft movin freely while you are drivin, or just tryin to spin it while setting still, just to check it? while driving shaft should turn unless something is broke i would guess. setting still you will have to lift one tire to spin shaft. at least mines that way. hp d-30, no vacuum crap etc. vibes could be, bearings, tires, shaft out of balance(or phase) bad suspension, etc., etc. remove the shaft and see what happens. i trashed my carrier bearings twice in one year and it vibrated like crazy.

this is just a crazy idea, but try to judge how fast the wobble is. If it's the driveshaft, it'll be vibrating 3-4 times faster than your wheel rpm. If it's happening with every wheel turn, it should still be pretty fast. Slower wobbles are in the steering.

At 55 mph, you're going some... 80 ft/s, and assuming... 8ft/revolution (tire circumference), that's 10x per second on the tire and axle shafts, and about 35x per second at the driveshaft. If the wobble is something like, 2-3 times per second, or less, the problem is not in your drivetrain. At least not likely. I'm just assuming a not too complicated dynamic system. After all, what's your caster angle?

--->But take off the front d/s as a first step.

robz95xj said:
you dont have any vucum lines, or disconects, your drive shaft is always conected to the frt wheels so thats why it wont spin.

Ok, I'm sort of confused by all of this...all I've ever delt with is Np 205's in broncos, where with the hubs unlocked, and the t case in 2wd the front shaft could spin freely by hand and would not spin while driving in 2wd. I was always under the impression that XJ's had a vaccum canister that engaged auto locking hubs. So basically the only place that the front shaft is disconnected is at the t-case?

XJ Hubs are always 'engaged.'
The disconnect on old XJ's was with a 2-piece shaft on the passenger side. In 2WD selected, The driver side shaft spins at full forward speed, the inner passenger side shaft at full backward speed, so the d/s remained steady. The passenger 2nd piece meanwhile spins in full forward, and so does its u joint and hub assembly.

Ok thanks for the info guys, to be honest it kinda seems like an odd design to me. Can I put a set of hubs onto my axle to solve this problem?

XgeekstarX said:
warn makes a hub conversion kit.

Thanks, I just looked at gowarn.com and saw the $892 price tag on the hub conversion kit.....Looks like I'm just gonna have to live with it. Thanks for the info everybody.

Back