• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this ok to do?

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Beginning of summer, I took out my leaf springs except the main, and did the AAL from a donor.
I know have two full Dakota packs I want to put in under the main instead of what I have now. Should be a straight forward job as it was the first time. The question is, is there any problems using my u-bolts and center pins at all? Don't really want to have to replace them again with them only being a few months old and having them specially made for me, unless it's absolutely necessary, and make sure there's nothing I'm overlooking.
thanks

Will do. I don't think I'll have any problems with the u-bolts. The center pins I think would be more of a concern, but will inspect everything closely to make sure everything is how it should be.

last time i bought center pins i paid 1.23 a piece for them

i would have no trouble buying 3 more (1 extra) as i do the project again...

just my opinion...

Bought center pins. Good job too. Ended up cutting out the old ones. Dakota springs are now in using the original main [-2" sag] and the bottome XJ leaf. Ditched the overload leaf as I kept seeing it said it makes it a lot harsher ride wise and gets hung up on just about everything. So far I'm showing 3.5" exactly over stock. We'll see if it settles at all now...

cykaaro said:
The question is, is there any problems using my u-bolts and center pins at all?

Re-using the center pins should be fine, as said, they are cheap so it would'nt hurt to replace them. But the u-bolts on the other hand are a different story, when tightned down they do stretch, so by unbolting them, then putting them back on, they will have lost some strength, if you are fortunate to have gotten them tightend to torque specs the second time.

I actually didn't reuse the u-bolts I had on. I had another set of heavier ones with courser threads so decided to use them. Going to keep on eye on everything.

Do they need to be retightened at all once things settle in?

cykaaro said:
I actually didn't reuse the u-bolts I had on. I had another set of heavier ones with courser threads so decided to use them. Going to keep on eye on everything.

Do they need to be retightened at all once things settle in?

Course threads are not as good as Fine threads!! Just FYI.

Yes, they need to be re-torqued every 500 miles untill you check them and they are still to spec. You need to monitor them regularly during the first few thousand miles and make sure they do not twist on you also.

Just FYI, It is Never "OK" to re-use u-bolts. If you do re-use them, be aware of this and be VERY sensitive to checking them regularly afterwards.

Michael

Back