• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water on the floor

Chux01Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I have what you might call an intermittent leak in my '01 XJ. My vehicle sits outside, and occasionally find a puddle of water on the floor on the passenger side of my Jeep after it rains. I removed the glovebox and cant seem to trace it beyond that. I have two theories--one is a windshield leak, and the other is clogged drainage somewhere.It does not leak when I drive and not every time it rains, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chuck

I had a simalar problem with my '93 xj. The problem was the insulation type material around the heater core drain, where it exits the firewall. The water would run down the firewall when parked just right, and the insulation would become soaked and fill up the passenger side floor board. I just covered the outside of the insulation material with silicone and have not had a problem in about 4 years. The drain is located about ten inches below where the heater hoses enter the firewall. It is behind the charcoal canister. A pain to get to.

I had a poor windshield install and that got mine wet. Paid $75 to get it re-sealed. New carpet (cheap JC Whitney one that wasnt' molded and fit like sh*t) I'd pay for the pre-molded factory one if I knew it wasn't gonna be a trail rig in a year or so. I tried the no carpet thing, but too hot and noisey for a DD.

i was going through a similar prob with my 01, 'cept on the drivers side. it turned out to be a power supply wire i ran through a gromett in the firewall near the steering column. the one a main harness runs through. ive since have smeared rtv all around it, but have to replace the carpet now. bummer!

-g

Yeah, this rain in MD. is wierd after living in CO. for 10 years! Luckily we bought the XJ out there so there's ZERO rust. Also, replacement door weatherstripping from JCW was a easy fix for those drips at the top of the door.

Hello again, thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out, but I also wanted to ask if you think that the water might just be running into the vents under the windshield and just accumulating there until it drips inside somehow. Its not a steady stream it just seems to drip (especially after a good rain) Parking it with the nose facing downhill seems to alleviate the problem. Thanks--looking forward to more replies.--chuck

firejeep6081 said:
I had a simalar problem with my '93 xj. The problem was the insulation type material around the heater core drain, where it exits the firewall. The water would run down the firewall when parked just right, and the insulation would become soaked and fill up the passenger side floor board. I just covered the outside of the insulation material with silicone and have not had a problem in about 4 years. The drain is located about ten inches below where the heater hoses enter the firewall. It is behind the charcoal canister. A pain to get to.

Whats the easiest way to get to it? The water seems to be coming from up above----like it is coming from the vents under the windshield. Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon.

I too have heard the drain thing, both from a Jeep dealer and a buddy who had the same problem. Mine was doing it too, but seems to have stopped for now. Glad I have Husky liner floor mats, carpet never got wet. :) Good luck fixing your problem though. I'd check into that A/C drain...

-Hershey

BDHershey said:
I too have heard the drain thing, both from a Jeep dealer and a buddy who had the same problem. Mine was doing it too, but seems to have stopped for now. Glad I have Husky liner floor mats, carpet never got wet. :) Good luck fixing your problem though. I'd check into that A/C drain...

-Hershey

I too have those heavy duty mats, or else I would have a real problem with the carpet right now. I found the drain leading out of the firewall, I just need a way to get to inspecting the area behind the firewall, thinking of removing the wipers and the vents under the windshield and shining a light in there to track the leak.
ANy suggestions on your end? Thanks, Chuck

The easiest way I found to get to it was to remove the windshield washer fluid reservoir and the charcoal canister. The drain is located at the bottom of the charcoal canister in the firewall. I found my problem by pulling back the carpet on the passenger side floor board and letting it rain. There was also a slight rust streak, on the inside, where the water was running down the floorboard. Hope this helps

Firejeep6081

It's getting wet UNDER the carpet. So your floormats are hidding what's going on. Pull up a corner of your carpet and take a good whiff. Musty, stale moisture!

Water on the floor

Not to bring up an old thread or anything. (I figured it was better than starting new)

Alright here we go, 99' 4.0 AW4. I bought the Jeep 2 years ago with the issue already (did'nt think anything of it) now that I've had it for awhile I'm looking to take care of it + I'd like to sound proof my baby.

I now park in the garage to avoid the problem, and I am trying to dry it out, when ever it is out in the rain the driver side floor gets a big puddle right around were the seat bolts to the floor. It has been going on for so long that the bolt heads are rusted round. I haven't even attempted to tackle this issue but now w/so much free time on my hands I'm looking at tackling it.

1) Where do you folks think the leak might be coming from? Possibly door seal.

2) How do I atempt to get the seat out to sound proof it? File down the rust.

Chux01Cherokee said:
Hi all,

I have what you might call an intermittent leak in my '01 XJ. My vehicle sits outside, and occasionally find a puddle of water on the floor on the passenger side of my Jeep after it rains. I removed the glovebox and cant seem to trace it beyond that. I have two theories--one is a windshield leak, and the other is clogged drainage somewhere.It does not leak when I drive and not every time it rains, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is going to sound really stupid, so enjoy. I've got the same problem, and traced it down to the following:

The antenna.

Next time it rains, take a look at the antenna wiring where it runs into the vehicle near the fusebox. I'll bet you a dollar it's soaked, and that the rainwater's making it down onto the floormats. Ran into this on both my 2001 and current 2000, and it drove me bats*** every time I took it to the car wash until I copped on.

Either way, I've been too lazy to silicone it up, but there's a good chance this is screwing with you as well.

Anyone, I brought up this old thread rather than take up more space on the server.

We got rain here today so I looked up under the dash and the carpet looked good and dry. When it gets wet it is a puddle near the seat bolts.

Look at the floor plugs also. I also suggest if you haven't already. Pull the carpet, put the seat back in and drive for a while to see where it's coming from. As long as the carpet is in, you can't see where it's coming from.

aplatz said:
Pull the carpet, put the seat back in and drive for a while to see where it's coming from. As long as the carpet is in, you can't see where it's coming from.

I'd really like to pull the carpet, mainly to put down sound insulation, but the front bolts on the driverside seat are so rusted you can't even make out the edge of the bolts.

Plus I don't want to put down insulation when the floor gets soaked in every storm.

I'm going to go right now and run water down over the windshield and door jam to see if I can pin point the area.

Grommet on the driver's side firewall. Got leaks there in water crossings - or a trip to the car wash - until I figured out what it was. Silicone sealant fixed that problem.

Last edited:
Back