• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do i need to Re-Gear? Or am I ok Stock?

rockcrawler873

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone hows it goin?
Im lookin at putting a Rustys 6.5" lift kit on sometime soon but im concerned about the tires.Im considering BFGoodrich A/T 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 if I go with the 33s i will have more flex but...the 35s will make it bigger/higher.When talking about re-gearing I would need to go with 4:56 Correct? Now,the question I have is if I go with 33s would I need to consider re-gearing? I assume that if the answer is yes for 33s then it would apply to 35. So, if i were to consider this option of re-gearing how much would it cost to get the gears? i have searched but cannot seem to find the price? If there is anyone who runs 33s or 35s with out it re-geared if you would please let me know if you have considered re-gearing or if it is ok stock? Thanx and I appriciate everything!
---chris

Yes and yes.

Gears ran about $250ish each (front and rear), install quote from a local shop was around $250-400 each axle if I brought the parts and axle in already off the jeep.

I know that this isn't your question, but I'd seriously do some research on that Rusty's kit before I purchased it. No joke here.

As for gearing, yes, you'll have to regear. As mentioned before, 4:56 for 33's and 4:88's for 35's.

Oh yeah, search is your friend. This is what I pulled up:

http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/GearRatioGuide.htm

Last edited:
I ran 33's with stock gears for several months. I know several others that have or do also. It is OK for a trail only rig but you will want to re gear eventually (Plan on re-gearing).

For a daily driver you will want to re-gear sooner.

I run 4.88's for 33's and would prefer taller if I was going to 35's.

michael

gcurtis said:
I know that this isn't your question, but I'd seriously do some research on that Rusty's kit before I purchased it. No joke here.

As for gearing, yes, you'll have to regear. As mentioned before, 4:56 for 33's and 4:88's for 35's.

Again, not your question, but my 4.5" rustys kit sits at 6.5-7"....so your 6.5" should sit at about 9". It seems to be pretty common among people who have their kits. Just something to factor in when selecting tire size and then gear ratio. Also, at that height, your looking at severe driveline modification.

gcurtis said:

I've got the rusty's 4.5" and after a year its still sitting around 5.5". At first it was around 7". Rusty's makes great products in general and has the best customer service I've ever ecountered. Rides great also.

Will he even be able to fit 35's on a rusty's 6.5" and no cutting? I have seen rustys 6" LA kits that stuf 31's very easily and if i coulda guessed i woulda said it was a 4" kit. if it was me i'd get the kit, do all the right driveline mods, (sye, new ds) and 33's and regear asap but with the auto you should be ok on 33s but it will be a dog and you'll get tired of it as a DD of course. I have 31s on my 5 speed and had 3.07s until just a few weeks ago. i had no problem cruising above 55 mph on flat, downhill, or even slight inclines in 5th gear. i have 3.55s now and can hold 5th gear at about 45+ now and accelerate up slight inclines and keep it in 5th to pass at any speed on the highway. i would go to 33s on the 3.55s and expect it will be about the same as 31s on 3.07s was.

ok in my opinion you should never re-gear, just swap out the power plant to a chevy small block 350 or mabi even a big block, you know like a 454 or something, regearing is such a pain and you never know if it is the right combo or not.

but that is just my humble opinion

OK...I read your other post and think I have enough info to advise you....If you have a 2.8 you most likely have 3.73 gears.....if so.....the 4.88's with 33's yield nearly identical effective ratio....and since it's a gen 1...it has a d35 or remotely possible a d44.

Get 4.88's to avoid major suckage.

Last edited:
Guys, this gentleman runs a 1986 XJ with a 2.8L automatic -- which means 3-speeds, no overdrive.

Please consider your advice accordingly.

I ran 2900 rpm at 60 with 3.73 and 215/75/15's. I run 2950 at 60 with 4.88's and 12/33 TSL bias tires. (according to my GPS). I have the same exact tranny.

The only time I have any real problems with power (I am an old fart and drive with reserve on the street considering the stopping power I have) is when I get badly bogged in thick mud...(I would be stuck regardless of what engine i had, I just can't throw wild 4 wheel roost in the process).

Back