• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel smell..

RINGKONG

NAXJA Forum User
Where do I start looking for clogs in the fuel evaperation system?

I have replaced the gas cap.

Still smell gas... especialy when the vehicle is hot..

Smell is coming from rear. I checked for leaks.. none where found. So I am assuming my evap system is screwed up..

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the fuel filter connections (assuming yours is external - since you do mention having vapor stuff...)

Look at the vapor seperator -- basically start at the fuel tank's plate where the hoses connect and work forward along the passenger's side...

It's not uncommon to have the sender/pump wiring leak where it passes through the plate, nor is it uncommon to have the o-ring on that plate leak -- if the tank isn't full the "leaks" will be vapor and you'll just get the smell...

satan said:
Have you checked the fuel filter connections (assuming yours is external - since you do mention having vapor stuff...)

Look at the vapor seperator -- basically start at the fuel tank's plate where the hoses connect and work forward along the passenger's side...

It's not uncommon to have the sender/pump wiring leak where it passes through the plate, nor is it uncommon to have the o-ring on that plate leak -- if the tank isn't full the "leaks" will be vapor and you'll just get the smell...

Thanks I will look.

The fuel filter connections are good.

... didn't include in the last post -- leaks from the plate area are found pretty easily -- first try a good solvent wash (Super Clean or similar) let it all dry then look at the front face of the tank and the plate... then fill it up drive it and park it for a bit and look again... -- any fuel will show as discolorations and deposits -

Back