• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender fix?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on clearancing my fenders for my new bigger tars and have a question about metal work. As you can see, the sheet on the inside of hte fender is shaped and needed to be cut in order to expand out to make room. My question is how to best fill or cover these holes? Should I take one long strip of strap and run it along the inside edge? Or is there another alternative? I cant really get at the inside very easily. I hate welding upside down as well.... should I fill it with foam and cover it with silicone?
Any other ideas?
6d709c72.jpg

e312f2b5.jpg

I boxed in the lower rocker area with some strap already
d84359ba.jpg

I think its going to turn out nice once its all cleaned up and painted....
a3e772e3.jpg

I didn't have near the amount of void area, I sealed things up with a tube of "Dynatron" Seam Sealer from Napa. Then sprayed everything with undercoat. Looks like you're going to need a bit more than that.

Towards the back on the drivers side is real back from when we did a bit of a hack job installing the old bushwackers. Im paying for that now....

j

I am probably gonna catch some crap for this butt here it goes...... whats a jeep without bondo? No realy though autozone sells fiberglass with 1" fibers, I would seal the rust then bondo and paint, It would look good as well as keep the H20 out.

I didn't really care about the water... I had just a little more space than yours. Took a BFH to it for about an hour and that closed up most of the gaps. Tossed some cauking (like that'll hold ;)) and drilled some drain holes. Haven't had a problem yet.

I ended up putting in some sheet metal to fill the holes. I welded it al the way on the outside and hten stich welded the back side where I could. Then slaaped in a bunch of bondo to fill the back edge. Should work fine. I am happy with how they turned out. Plenty of room now!
0cd94d07.jpg

c48608f8.jpg

I put a piece of sheet around teh inside of edge. You can see it in the pics. It only goes in about 3" and welded it all the way around the outside and then stitched the inside. Thanks fo rhte compliments!
j

Back