• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff glider

buy it!

its super HD and even though it may reduce your clearance a bit, it lets you drag over stuff much larger so its a moot-point.

i had one and will get another soon.

oh man, I'm sorry, but DO NOT BUY IT. Clearance is much mroe important than hanging something down below the most vulnerable part of your vehicle just to get a smooth surface. I'd say take a grinder and just slightly smooth out the bottom of your diff....do not grind it flat, do not cut away (unless you want to do a lot more work)...just make the lip a little sloped, and you'll be fine. It's almost free, and will take you about 10 minutes. And nothing is better than the glider in my opinion. _nicko_

sidriptide said:
buy it!

its super HD and even though it may reduce your clearance a bit, it lets you drag over stuff much larger so its a moot-point.

i had one and will get another soon.
really?

i find it much easier to put my foot firmly to the floor let the clutch out quickly and rocket over hangs..

depends on what rearend you have. 8.8 has a big lip and would prob do better with a little something to help it bump over stuff, but most other axles can be ground slightly.

edit: ha i just looked more closely at the link that is for the front buy a beafy diff cover and be done with it. as you rotate your axle to gain pinion angle (on a lifted rig)you will dig that thing in the ground.

i had one till i got rid of my 35, but it did work well, and you don't lose that much clearance, but i have to agree $100 is alot.

ditto. I had one for my D44 and seemed to work fine. You only loose maybe 5/16" of clearance. I pulled it off when I changed diff covers and just haven't gotten around to putting it back on. The NthDegree Slider is a much better product, but it's also quite a bit more expensive.

I'm new to welding/fabbing my own junk, so I'm actually asking, not being a smart*&^. But, how hard would it be to make one? Just some 3/16" plate and steel rod, right?

Jason, do you think it would be as good (and cheaper) to just cut off the lip on an 8.25 and weld some plate to the cover? Or does the glider concept really help that much?

I have one for the 8.25 and like it alot. However it dosnt glide over rocks, just kinda boinks into them. I would say its a good purchase, unless you can make one.

glide over rocks? guy in my local club *had* one on his TJ.....

DSC04164.JPG

DSC04163.JPG

HaHa....:laugh3:
IntrepidXJ said:
glide over rocks? guy in my local club *had* one on his TJ.....

DSC04164.JPG

DSC04163.JPG

Well Sidriptide said he had one and wanted to get another one. Well I'm the guy that bought his old one and I love it. I have the 8.25 rearend and I went through 2 diff covers in the course of like 3 months wheeling on rocks before I bought the slider from him. Grinding the lip off the 8.25 won't help you any cause the cover gets stuck in another spot and rips back. It's a bit pricey but worth it.

i wasnt really specific before. i had it on the 8.25 rear. other axles could be smoothed and get by with a different design but the big lip on the bottom of the 8.25 is like a peice of "rock velcro" a turbo city slider was and still is the best one i've seen for that specific axle. its a bit pricey but i can live with that. as far as that TJ ripping his off i dont see how that happened under "normal" circumstances or without knowing. it can be made pretty easily if you have fab skills.

imade one out of 3/16 and a few extra bends in about 30 minutes and it work fine love having it iselped my cover off so just did it

Back