• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem running with just front driveshaft

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I installed the PORC SYE, and everything seemed pretty good install wise, besides the fact that I didn't use enough permatex on the bottom of the housing,so I have a slight oil leak. I'm running it in 4H without a rear driveshaft (aka, badass FWD jeep), but it likes to pop out of 4H and go into N. If I hold my hand on the shift lever, it dosn't pop out, but if I take my hand off,it tends to pop out of 4H, not always right away, but enventually, it will. Does this sound like an internal problem or a shift linkage problem?

I'd start with the shift linkage, sounds like it may just be be quite engaged far enough. Besides, that can be adjusted without getting inside the case.

I've ran for several hundred miles on a couple of separate occasions without a rear d/s.

adjust your linkage. very easy and quick to do.

word of caution with front wheel drive - don't get on the gas in tight turns if you have front axle shaft u-joints. Jitter and shakes... That's why god made CV's for fwd cars.

Last edited:
kubtastic said:
word of caution with front wheel drive - don't get on the gas in tight turns if you have front axle shaft u-joints. Jitter and shakes... That's why god made CV's for fwd cars.
Amen on not gassing it...I am running without the rear shaft temporarily and it does jitter in turns.

About the case jumping out of gear....have you installed a transfer case drop recently?

Back