• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Binding?

totipo16

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to the XJ community, and this is my first post here, but was hoping to get some advice. I just installed a RE 3.5" lift with a 1" t-case drop but no SYE. I am getting a slight grinding sound when I take my foot off the gas, but no vibration at all. I inspected the u-joints and do not see any signs of them rubbing or grinding. Any ideas on what could be causing this grinding.

Also, RE quick-disconnects are terrible, IMHO.

Sounds like pinion angle.

totipo16 said:
no, very minor vibes during acceleration..hardly noticeable. how would pinion angle cause grinding/binding?

The leaf springs twist causing the pinion to rotate up and down under acceleration and deceleration.

I actually had a similar problem where it was my front driveshaft and not my rear one causing the trouble. Don't forget the front drive shaft spins when you drive too.

Establish whether it is the front (highly unlikely) or the rear and then adjust the pinion. (use shims on the rear leaf springs if it is the rear.

Again you said 'grinding' not vibration so I am guessing at this point.

You can always take off the front or rear drive shaft and drive it around the block to test it.

Back