• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size are the caliper bolts?

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Ran into somthing funny today, trying to replace the calipers on my 87 XJ, an I can't seem to get any of my allan wrench's to fit, they are either too big to go in, or they are too small and have an excessive amount of play. Funny thing is that I put a set of pads on not too long ago, I just can't seem to find the right size. I'm doing almost an entire brake system replacment (lines, cylinders, and calipers+shoes, rotors, and pads I already replaced, and had the drums turned down.

Thanks for the help, at the chrysler dealership, I was told 3/8" but that doesn't fit, I was thinking that maybe they got confuesd and were talking about the newer post 91 caliper, I'm pretty sure they changed the calipers when they changed the front end from vaccum disconect.

Edit: well strangly enough I just tried the 7mm and its too small

Last edited:
well I just went out and bought a 10mm and it didn't fit either. Mine is an 87 with origional calipers. What is my size, my kit only goes up to 7mm which is too loose.

Losungen said:
I got a 90 XJ, I just use a 13 sided socket or if in a pinch some visegrips. Your talking about the two bolts that hold your caliper in I think.

13-sided socket? Where'd you get that?

I'm wanting to think I used an 8m/m Allen last time I did brakes on the 89 (the second one...) but I can't swear to it right now. Try a 5/16" and see if it's a close fit - an 8m/m is close to that. Definitely metric, tho...

5-90

It should be a 7mm. I went out and bought the ratchet socket with the allen wrench on it specifically for the caliper bolts.

You might have some bolts that are stripped out from the previous owner :smsoap: , in which case a good set of vice grips will be your best friend.

84 is a 7 mm for me but the 91 is a 10 mm socket!wtf? i chalked it all up to a jeep thing. as far as the 84 goes... the P.O mangled em up pretty badly so i just used an external extractor that i have for stuff like this. set is about 20 bux from your local AZ. tap em on with a hammer and attach ratchet

My '88 is 7mm and found out that a standerd set of metric allen wrenches from home depot or places like that don't come with a 7mm. After 6mm they only have even numberd sizes.

well it was the 7mm after all, the bolts must be warn though, because it was a VERY loose fit, I thought I was just going to strip them, but they came out. I went through all that trouble because of the loose fit. I'm going to get new bolts for the new calipers, so I'll never have this problem again.

I too went through this problem and wound up buying a 7mm bit seperately 'cuz it didn't come in any sets. To shed some light on the confusion, if you call up Napa and ask for replacements you'll get 10mm hex. It's just a different head, same bolt.

Back