• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

proper care of a optima?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I have been inspired by another thread to ask the basic care and maintenance of a optima battery,including the best chargers to use and the best charging techniques.Thanks for input.

I find that keeping it in constant use and with clean connections seems to handle everything. The only time I had an Optima fail me was when I was last "summoned" for duty, and my wife forgot to start the engine and run it for 10-15 minutes once a week.

The battery was a little week - I put it on a trickle charge, put it in the freezer for an hour, and it was stone dead. Went and got a new one. No problems now.

No $4!7 - if you want to really check a battery, charge it, freeze it for 60-90 minutes, and then use it to start your engine. If it doesn't work, get a new one. The best test for a battery back home was always "first frost."

5-90

Slower (lower amperage) is generally better for charging. The other modes are to be used when you simply cannot wait.

best way to charge anythign is slow the do make fast charging chargers but that dosn't mean there the best if you leave your vehicle for long periods of time get a small trickle charger to keep the thing charged they are under 20 at walmart.

Back