• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix used to cutout, now it's dead

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the original cut out thread
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68382

That's the back story. Tonight I put a new o2 sensor in the Jeep and went down the road to test it. About 2 miles down the road I punched it, it stumbled, I kept my foot to the floor to see if it would pick up again, instead I cooked something and now it won't start. Had to have it towed to the house. I won't be working on it tonight since it's 12:15. I'm just looking for ideas.
Things I checked on the side of the road:
I do have spark to the center of the dist. cap. I pulled it off and had the fiance crank it.
I can't hear the fuel pump running, I was going to bypass the ballast, but I couldn't find it with a small flash light on the side of the road while it was raining.
I tested the TPS while waiting for the tow truck, it seemed to check out, and is one of the few things I haven't replaced.
I'm really thinking it's the ballast, and I wil try that tomorrow morning, but I'm looking for any and all suggestions ATM.
Thanks.
Edit:
I forgot what it is! 87 COmanche, 4.0, AX-15
Edit#2: SO I ran out, and turned the key on, I still can't hear the pump. I'm really beginning to think that it's just not getting fuel. I don't have a fuel pump ballast on the fender, so either the 87's didn't come with one or it's been removed. I swapped what I think to be the fuel relay with what I believe the be the power latch relay with no change.
I think I either blew a fusible link, or I burnt through a wire. Does anyone have a schematic for the fuel pump electrical system?

Last edited:
87manche said:
Here's the original cut out thread
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68382

That's the back story. Tonight I put a new o2 sensor in the Jeep and went down the road to test it. About 2 miles down the road I punched it, it stumbled, I kept my foot to the floor to see if it would pick up again, instead I cooked something and now it won't start. Had to have it towed to the house. I won't be working on it tonight since it's 12:15. I'm just looking for ideas.
Things I checked on the side of the road:
I do have spark to the center of the dist. cap. I pulled it off and had the fiance crank it.
I can't hear the fuel pump running, I was going to bypass the ballast, but I couldn't find it with a small flash light on the side of the road while it was raining.
I tested the TPS while waiting for the tow truck, it seemed to check out, and is one of the few things I haven't replaced.
I'm really thinking it's the ballast, and I wil try that tomorrow morning, but I'm looking for any and all suggestions ATM.
Thanks.
Edit:
I forgot what it is! 87 COmanche, 4.0, AX-15
Edit#2: SO I ran out, and turned the key on, I still can't hear the pump. I'm really beginning to think that it's just not getting fuel. I don't have a fuel pump ballast on the fender, so either the 87's didn't come with one or it's been removed. I swapped what I think to be the fuel relay with what I believe the be the power latch relay with no change.
I think I either blew a fusible link, or I burnt through a wire. Does anyone have a schematic for the fuel pump electrical system?
Your right you don't have a ballast resistor.

thanks langer, I couldn't find it so I just figured as much. I'm going to look at it tonight when I get home, and jumper the fusible link with an inline fuse for troubleshooting. What size fuse should I put in there? Also, I've been reading about the ASD relay in the archives, what is this and where do I find it? More importantly how do I test it?

87manche said:
thanks langer, I couldn't find it so I just figured as much. I'm going to look at it tonight when I get home, and jumper the fusible link with an inline fuse for troubleshooting. What size fuse should I put in there? Also, I've been reading about the ASD relay in the archives, what is this and where do I find it? More importantly how do I test it?
You might just replace all 5 relays, there about 3 buck each.

I fought and foughr almost the same thing on my sons's '88.
The problem ended up being in the distributor.
the wires that went to the pick up had rubbed and would sometimes short to ground.

It is not hard to check, pop off the dist. cap and see it the wires are still in good shape.

If they are not, it is not a hard job to correct.

Sean, which wires are those? the syncro sensor wires? I replaced the dist cap and rotor last week, I suppose it's possible that I damaged something.
Langer: I will replace all of the relays, when I pulled them out the connectors were a bit nasty. I cleaned it all with contact cleaner, but I should just replace them.
Do you happen to have part numbers? Finding them on the website is proving nearly impossible.
I need three square relays, the starter relay and the o2 heater relay correct?

Last edited:
relays.jpg

There all the same and the Napa number is ECHAR143

Last edited:
thanks langer. I appreciate all the info. Is that diagram part of a FM? I'm going to have to track it down.

Another relay question.
I dont have AC. Can I just pull that relay, or does it control other things? I don't have an electric fan either/

I suppose that's a simple enough answer. Thanks for your patiance Langer, I'm totally new to the renix system.

ok, that was a source of confusion for me also. I will investigate when I get home from work. I hope you're on about 7PM

ok, so I replaced all the relays, and I replaced the old fusible link with an inline fuse holder. The fusible link checked out OK with the DMM, but it was looking brittle and ugly so I soldered in a holder anyway. It's on my list to replace all of those soon.
Back to the problem. I can now hear relays clicking under the hood when I turn the key to on. I did see one that had a nasty brown spot on it, so Something certainly went wrong there. I still don't have any fuel pump power. I put my meter on the orange and black wire at the fuel pump connector and I get 0v with key off and .3 with the key on. I'm trying to get a continuity test between relays and wires and such, but I don't have a decent diagram, so it's hit and miss.
If someone could verify the colrs of the wire to test for voltage at the pump I would appreciate it.

you sir are a godsend
also, I had read about jumpin d1-5 and d1-6 to jump the fuel pump. I did this and still no voltage.

87manche said:
you sir are a godsend
also, I had read about jumpin d1-5 and d1-6 to jump the fuel pump. I did this and still no voltage.
Check the yellow wire on the coil pack or the fuel pump relay for +12v if you don't have it check your ignition switch pin 11.

Odd theory, but since it's what happened on my 88 XJ when it had fuel pump problems it's worth a shot: does the jeep ever try and catch while you're turning the key to Start, then die when it's in Run? if I'm remembering correctly the Start circuit feeds power to the fuel pump through a bypass circuit (orange/black maybe?) off the starter solenoid... so it'll work fine while starting and then just cut off the second you let go of the key.

also... trace back the wires under the diagnostic connector and see if you have a big 5-red-wire splice under the coolant bottle there. mine was completely corroded into green powder, causing intermittent and eventually zero power to several ignition-powered circuits, including the fuel pump.

I don't have a yellow wire that goes to the FPR. I did test a red wire though and got 12v, constant. Pin 30 on the relay
I tested the wire to the left, pin 86, that got 11V when I turned the switch to run.
THe others didn't do anything, I imagine they are the outputs.

brtb said:
Odd theory, but since it's what happened on my 88 XJ when it had fuel pump problems it's worth a shot: does the jeep ever try and catch while you're turning the key to Start, then die when it's in Run? if I'm remembering correctly the Start circuit feeds power to the fuel pump through a bypass circuit (orange/black maybe?) off the starter solenoid... so it'll work fine while starting and then just cut off the second you let go of the key.

also... trace back the wires under the diagnostic connector and see if you have a big 5-red-wire splice under the coolant bottle there. mine was completely corroded into green powder, causing intermittent and eventually zero power to several ignition-powered circuits, including the fuel pump.
Doesn't try to start at all, don't here the fuel pump. Put my meter on the pump connector, loked down and cranked the engine, no juice.
Will check for that big bundle of wires, but I don't think I have them

Back