• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight problem - repost

Rocker

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ
At the factory headlight plug with low beams selected I get 12 volts at the low beam lead and 8 volts at the high beam lead. I shouldn't get any juice at the high beam lead with low beams selected right? Is this most likely the dimmer switch? All else is fine.

I have new e codes and premade harness w/relays. I think the 8 volts in the factory high beam lead (when selector lever is set to lows) is not enough to trigger the high beam relay. However, once you select high beams and close the relay the 8 volts is enough to keep it closed making the highs and lows operate smultaneously. If I shut the headlights off and turn them back on only the low beams are on until you go to the highs and back again. Then both stay on again. Is it possible that 8 volts would not close the relay but after it was closed would be enough to keep it closed? Thanks!

It's your lucky day... I know exactly what you are up against. Click the LINKY and read post #10 by me.....

Ivan

Thanks for the info Ivan. It was my lucky day - I feel like I hit the lottery. I have the factory fogs too. I was going to wire into the harness for my new fogs but now I guess I will need to do it another way - I'm not the kind of person whos going to remember to shut them off every time.

Theres more than one way to skin a cat.

Back