• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires, how big is to big for a d-30

94xjkyle said:
i got a d-30 soon to be with 4.88 gears, what is the maximum tire size that i could run

auto tranny, 4.0l and a not-so-heavy foot

just expect breakage and carry extra axles..... I ran 33x9.5 for years and would not hesitate to run 34x10.5's

i have found the general concenses to be at the max of 35's with lots of breakage and 33's with much less breakage ( but still some) i run 33/12.50/15's and i carry a spare set of axles

steagall9301 said:
i have found the general concenses to be at the max of 35's with lots of breakage and 33's with much less breakage ( but still some)

That's an odd thing to say. How does "lots of breakage" still fall within the "max"?

35's are fine.. just take it really easy and carry spares. I'm running alloys (inners and outers) and 35's. I still carry an extra set of shafts that collect dust. I know guys that run 35's just fine on stock shafts.

How much your front axle will take depends as much or more on the terrain and how you drive it than it does on tire size. I've been running 4.88s and 33x10.50s for a while on stock 760 jointed axles (from a newer TJ) and have yet to break anything (insert here sound of me knocking on wood). I'm not trying to break it, but I don't baby it either. So I carry a set of spares.

I've seen guys run up to 37's on a d30... but that's just mainly because they want an excuse to get a front axle once everything explodes.

I will chime in on this one hope not to get flamed too much. Depending on your driving a HP30 with alloy shafts will handle 37's but you also need to get the 30 strong by trussing the axle,re-enforceing the control mounts, and realising it is a 30. I am going up to 37's on my xj also but this is what I know too. a 35MTR is smaller than a 35BFG the 37MTR is slightly bigger than a 35BFG? Confused yet I am I was going to go with a 35 BFG which is taller than my 35MTR But I like the MTR so I am going with the 37's. its 4wheeling no set up is perfect it is always trial and error I know Led from the CO> chapter did the best of the west with 37's on his D30 and made it back but he built it up too. Good luck

What Rd said:
How much your front axle will take depends as much or more on the terrain and how you drive it than it does on tire size.

Led can drive.

Been running 35 bfg mt's for two years no problems, I do have alloy's and carry spares. it does have the 760 u-joints as well.

oh yea I am also running a lock-right

Rock Yacht said:
35's no question. The D30 will live just fine once properly preparred, just like any other axle would have to be.

I have never broken an axel before and im running 33/12.5/15's now before i had 32/10.5/15's but you guys are saying that you carry spare axels. How hard and what "special" tools are required to change the parts that you could end up breaking on the trail? How much are spare axel shafts and where do y'all get em from the cheapest? Im thinking about carrying a spare set since im going on a couple long trips soon :)

35's are ok to use on a D30... :thumbup:

fdsa487 said:
How much are spare axel shafts and where do y'all get em from the cheapest?

My spares are the oem axles that I took out when I put my alloys in.

They're not cheap. I paid $150 each for just the outers. Plus Warn inners and 760x u-joints. I also use my old OEM shafts with 760x u-joints as spares. I just run them along the sides of my seats and fasten them down.

You're probably looking at close to $600+ for new alloy shafts.

Pull the old shafts, and reinstall these the exact same way. nothing to it at all. it takes longer to install that new u-joint that it does to swap shafts.

Back