• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44 axle brackets

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Searched NAXJA and other sites, looking for info on setting up front D44 for an XJ. I prefer to fab my own brackets where I think the results would be "professional".
So I'm looking at purchasing the RE bridge and making the rest. While a number of people have shared pictures of there brackets, very few have discussed the pros/cons associated with there particular approach. So brings me to a "couple" of questions. With regard to the upper control arm mounts (UCA's), does the positioning front or rear of axle center line matter? Do the JKS bushing housings fit stock XJ rubber bushings? I'm setting up for 4-link mid length arms, so would Johnny joints welded to the UCA mnts be better than stock rubber? I may decide to do the 3-link. Would that influence whether to use Johnny joint versus rubber? On material for the UCA mnts, 1.5x3x.180 tubing ok, or is there a better choice? For the LCA mnts, I'm planning on using 3x3x.188 as suggested by a couple of builders on this site. With regard to coil mnts, anyone use '77-'79 Ford coil buckets? I'm planning on using these bolted to top of 3/16 box fabbed to fit Axle. The reason for using the Ford buckets is that they have a ramp to accommodate the bottom coil of the XJ spring. Bad or superfluous idea? Based on input from this site, I will be mounting my spring centers 1" to the rear of the stock location to clear my tie rod; I'm using Chevy flat-tops and high-steer. Any additional input/suggestions/flames would be greatly appreciated.

I have some input - but cant answer all of thoes questions:

xjbubba said:
Do the JKS bushing housings fit stock XJ rubber bushings?

Yes! perfectly! and i have no issues with them what so ever!

xjbubba said:
With regard to coil mnts, anyone use '77-'79 Ford coil buckets? I'm planning on using these bolted to top of 3/16 box fabbed to fit Axle. The reason for using the Ford buckets is that they have a ramp to accommodate the bottom coil of the XJ spring. Bad or superfluous idea?
that is what I used, no issues yet - I drilled out the 2 existing holes to 1/2" and welded the perch to the top of my LCA "box" and then taped the LCA "box" to 1/2" fine thread and use the bolts to retian the lower end of the coil.

like this -

not welded on in thoes pics, but they are welded now.

good luck

all of my pictures are available here:
http://www.opiebennett.com/frontaxlepicturesindex.htm

Oh - i also wanted to reccomend the JKS OAB for your trackbar if you arent planning on hi-steer - very well made and works perfectly with my suspention.

XJ, thanks for the info--great shots of your project. Looks like you integrated your LCA brackets with the spring perches--size tubing used? Is the track bar mnt in your pictures being fabbed the JKS one you recommended? Made from 1/4 plate? I noticed your using 3/16 channel for your "bridge" and UCA mnts. Any problems with the bridge twisting? I didn't see any bracing to the diff like RE uses. Great info, thanks a lot.

Back