• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possibly Might By a 1990 XJ

gregmondro

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I have the chance to pick up a 1990 4.0l Automatic XJ for $1000
It has the rear d35c (booooooo!) and 175k on the engine.

I know this is the non high output engine, but does this really make much of a difference? My ZJ was a 4.0l HO, will there be a noticeable difference?

Also, do you think $1000 is a fair price for this Jeep or should I look else where? I was looking to buy a newer one with a high output engine and the tow package, but for $1000 I might not want to pass this up.

opinions anyone? Price, etc?

Depends on the condition, Rust would be my main concern. I have an 89 and there was a lot of rust. Mainly the rockers and the floor above the muffler/cat. Some are really bad some are ok.

If the engine is still strong it will probably be quicker then your zj because it is lighter. The Renix engine have about 10-15 fewer hp. I think the Renix computer is still a good system.

Katarn

I think so if it is clean in and out and has been well maintained.
I would try to drop it a couple hundred though. I just noticed that you were in NM. If the truck has been there its whole life then there should not be any rust but still check.

Other things to check for:
wet carpet, leaks are fairly common but agian you are NM
dead rear wiper motor
dead or dying power windows and windows if there
oil in air filter

None of these are deal killers but maybe you can get a couple of bucks off if they exist.

I would reccomend reading through a couple of pages of posts to see common problems and just get fimiliar with xj's if this is your first.

katarn

i'm kind of wary of buying it from the guy. He posted it for sale on a local board in a bunch of different threads as a 91, then finally said it was a 1990. Then it took me like posts to get more information on it (whether or not it was a 6cyl, what tranny, color, miles, etc). Then he finally posted a pic, but it was horrible quality and you couldn't even tell what color the thing was.

After that I looked around at his other posts (just 1 more on the for sale classifieds, and he was selling a theft lock kit).

so i'm still sorta wary :\

I'll be doing that shortly, I was looking on some different message boards I frequent to see if anyone was offering carfaxes for free like they do from time to time :)

Back