• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb brake question....a little long

Biernuts

NAXJA Forum User
I checked for this specific question...
Do 1989's have brake proportioning valves? I'm assuming that the units with the front and rear brakelines coming out of it is the PV...

I can't find a part number! I've checked Kragen, Autozone and Napa online and they say there's no part(?). Surely there a proportionig valve!?

Anyway...a little history:
The brakes have been almost no-existent since I started working on this Jeep (I inherited it). I finally got to the brake system and WOW....

The front rotors and pads looked pretty good but the rears were totally hashed. The drums were scored 1/4" deep from the shoes which were almost gone....I've never seen such bad metal to metal....

It looked like the front's weren't working at all (or VERY little) and the rears were doing all the work. My father in law was in pretty bad shape with cancer so he might not have notice how bad his brakes were that last year...

Anyway, I replaced my rotors & pads, drums & shoes/hardware and bled all the old fluid out. The brakes are still super mushy and the idiot light comes on as I apply the brakes. It doesn't feel like the fronts are working to well but I can't really tell...I would assume that the proportionong valve had gone south....but I can't find a part number.

Is the proportioning valve integrated into the MC?

The prop valve is below the MC and has two lines in from the MC and two lines out to the wheels. It also has an electrical connector in the middle.

The prop valve is the last thing I would suspect. My bet is that you still have air in the lines, stuck caliper pistons, or a rubber brake line that is ballooning.

Use a vacuum bleeder to completely flush the front system. Also you might back off on the rear adjusters a bit to allow the fronts to take some of the load.

Would air in the lines or a balloning line present itself with the idiot brake light going on and off while braking?

I though a bad MC or a bad proportioning valve might trigger the light.

I've bled many a brake so I'm pretty darn sure they're clear...you never know though. I'll run another bottle through tonight.

BTW, for future reference, does anyone know if the proportining valve a dealer only item?

Losungen said:
Bleed your mc as well, have you checked your brake booster? do you get a sound like a rush of air when your push the pedal fast with the engine on?

If I REALLY pump the pedal hard, it will affect the idle but I don't hear any air whooshing...

I bought a new MC today, going to put on tonight if it doesn't rain. I'm hoping it's not the booster..that sounds like it might be a pain in the but to replace...

I checked the calipers and they appear to be working. When I pusj the pedal I can see them moving the assembly.

Back