• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep wont stay running

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
im new to jeeps and i have an 85 2dr 2.8 and when i crank it it will run but would stay running when i let go off the key

i repaced the wire, distrub., plugs, fuel pump and fuel line to carb.

Please help me

I'm not familiar with the 2.8, but first thing might be to check if there is a ballast resistor on the coil. If there is, try temporarily bypassing it and replace it if this solves the problem.

Note that some 4.0's have a ballast resistor in the fuel pump circuit simply to quiet the pump, and can be run without it, but if you have one on the coil, its purpose is to provide a fatter spark for starting, and if you run without it it may burn up the coil, so replace it.

Another possibility here is a defective ignition switch. On XJ's this is on the steering column, down near the base of the dash panel, operated by a rod from the lock. It's possible that if the switch is worn, it will provide voltage to the ignition when in the start position, but lose it in the run position. You can check this with a test light on the positive lead to the coil or if you can find the pertinent terminal on the ignition switch itself, test it there.

Back