• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which intake adds more hp?

power gains are going to be minimal on the 4.0. true, the snorkel will deliver colder air, but it also goes through a much longer pipe with more bends.
unless you need the water crossing ability and have all your electronics sealed up nicely, go with the 3in k&n type filter under the hood. if you insulate it well it will be cold enough. you could even add a hood scoop to get true cold air if you want to start cutting holes in metal(which you would have to do for the snorkel anyway)

All in all it's up to your personal preference.

lots of threads on this, search will yield more answers.

-B

Like what was mentioned earlier, don’t run a snorkel unless you actually need it for water crossings. Just the plain old K&N factory replacement filters seem to do pretty well. If you want to get tricky you can remove the horn off of the front of the box and run a tube down underneath the front air dam. Sort of a poor man’s ram air. :laugh3:

jeepdeepfreak said:
this,http://www.opiebennett.com/customfipk.htm

or a snorkle?I've heard that the snorkle is a "true" cold air intake.So it would result in better power over the air tube???The down side is it costs 300.00 for a snorkle......

just to add a little to that write up - i still need to make the heat sheild - that is what makes the cold air intake...

I originally went with the Safari Snorkel with my 4 banger. It added 4mph top end. The reason I went with it was to get cleaner air. A lot of the dusty trails were playing havoc with my air filters. I changed them once a day at Moab in the summer.

I want a safari snorkle but was wondering if anyone has had motor problems from rain getting in during a down pour at 70mph?I understand how the snorkel keeps water out( it's in the design of the head)but have been told that alittle rain gets in the filter in a down pour while going down the road.Is it enough to hurt anything?

I wonder how one would function in a hurricane......

Personally, I would go with a K&N drop in filter, and cut a hole int the lower box roughly the same size in the back as in the front. You dont have to fabricate anything, you get a bit more air, and again, all you need is a dremel or a hole saw.

Easy enough and cheap.

They did not make one for mine (89 MJ 4.0), so I was given a cone filter, (I've seen them for $20), and made a tube out of a plexiglass tube, drilled a hole for one vacuum hook up, sprayed with K&N filter oil, and installed. It definitely added a couple of ponies, and I like the sound (much more throaty)it produces (except the turbo whoosh sound from the vacuum line when cruisin). It did make it more responsive, but I do not think spending much more than I did is really worth it. I have seen these intakes from $100 to $250. Just my .02 .

zfinger said:
Personally, I would go with a K&N drop in filter, and cut a hole int the lower box roughly the same size in the back as in the front. You dont have to fabricate anything, you get a bit more air, and again, all you need is a dremel or a hole saw.

Easy enough and cheap.
For me, the univeral 3" filter was $21 cheaper than the drop in. A 24" chunk of 3" ABS plastic tubing was $2.00, a GM CCV breather tube end was $3.00, and a couple of hose clamps were $1.25, took 1/2 hour to install and I'm still ahead by around fifteen bucks...

zfinger said:

Easy enough and cheap.

x2

THIS intake adds THE most HP....

engine.jpg

:D

yeah but THAT intake costs the most money... dont think anyone's gonna hand over one of those for $24...maybe 2400.00 tho. just do a drop in

XplodJeepster said:
Personally - when I settle down, have a stable well paying job, and decide that the 95 is gonna be a race jeep - I'll probably supercharge it. lol

X2, but mines a daily driver and weekend trail rider. BUT I WANT MORE POWER!!!! Thats the exact supercharger i want to save up for pictured a few posts back!!

Beej said:
For me, the univeral 3" filter was $21 cheaper than the drop in. A 24" chunk of 3" ABS plastic tubing was $2.00, a GM CCV breather tube end was $3.00, and a couple of hose clamps were $1.25, took 1/2 hour to install and I'm still ahead by around fifteen bucks...
Some of the Fords (Windstar and Explorer?)have a good length of heavy rubber tube that can be had from the bone yard.

jfiscus said:
I am unsur eof the year of your jeep, but if you have an older jeep, just switching to the newer stock intake manifold gives more horespower.

I Have done this, and unless you get the manifold super cheap or free, and have a lot of time on your hands it is not really worth it. it is a nicer manifold setup and definately gives more throttle response but not really enough to make a busy person who just dropped a chunk of cash on a manifold feel the difference. also you need to make sure if your jeep is older than a 98 that you get the power steering pump and bracket and all bolts to make this work...and do your research

The intake that makes the most power has six blue nozzels screwed into it and a matching blue tank in the back. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Back