• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter just died

showmethemuddd

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, before anyone says it, i searched this for about an hour.
Alrighty then, i drove my jeep all over town today, no problems with starting at all, finally got to work, after my 7 hrs came out and no start. BY no start i mean it wouldnt tun over. I've got plenty of power, i can hear my fuel pump, i can even hear the relay "click" when i turn the key.This starter is only about 4-5 months old, new battery at beginning of this month,and as i said, drove all about today with about 12-15 stops and starts before going to work. Old starter wasnt dead, but cranked slow so it was replaced so i WOULDN'T get stranded. We have had some rain around here, but not enough to woory about, but we do get some pretty deep "ponds" in the lower areas around here, but i dont just jump right in, I try to take most of them at a pretty slow speed(unless my kids start egging me on). Was too late to crawl under tonite, but anybody have anidea what I should start looking for?Without the Tank, I cant work, any ideas would be apprieciated, thanx in advance.
Also, I had it flat towed about 2 miles home, and didnt put T-case in neutral, was p/o'ed and forgot, put trans in neutral instead. Could that do any damage, even on such a short trip?

1991 4.0, aw4, 242,8.25,bb, 31's

Thanks again in advance.

if your jeep was cranking slowly, i'd take a good look at your battery. i'm currently working on a '87 xj wagoneer, and i had a piss poor battery in it. something (starter?) was clicking violently. i then put a good battery out of my other '87 cherokee into it. started up beautifully.

battery->starter assembly->nss->?

If the battery is good and hot, try starting it. If the starter does not engage the engine, while still holding the ignition switch in the start position, with your "free hand" try and wiggle the gear selector. Even put it in neutral and wiggle the gear selector. If it attempts to start normally, do a search for cleaning the neutral safety switch.

There is also a small relay for the starter that could be bad too.

Dave

OK, thanks for the ideas, pretty much what i had in mind anyways, I was just kinda hoping for some mircale idea so i wouldnt have to climb under it, its a whoppin 39 degrees todaywith rain on the way. I'll check all cables and connects and pray the forecasters are wrong.

I revived my last starter with a liberal dose of electrical contact cleaner and a few good wacks from a BFH. IF that works for you, the starter is crapped out. Is it still under warranty?

OK, so maybe that wasnt it, I went out this morn and son of a b#%h it wont start! Same symptoms as first time, I get a click in the relay but nothing from the starter. I have read some where that the relay grounds are a problem, but I cant seem to find the thread, dont remember if it was here or else wheres on the web.
So, now I got the ole lady p/o'ed again cuz it didnt start to drive her Miss Daisy a** around, I'm ready to tell her to fix it her damned self!
On a positive note, I can just jump the starter out and it starts and runs fine.
Has anyone got a clue they could throw me,starting to get cold in these parts and I dont want to get under this thing again.
Please, Thanks, and every other stuff to the man who gives me an idea on what to do.

If your batt. is hot, then I would take the relatively new starter back and say it doesnt work. Assuming there is a warr., then let them figure it out.....

showmethemuddd said:
OK, so maybe that wasnt it, I went out this morn and son of a b#%h it wont start! Same symptoms as first time, I get a click in the relay but nothing from the starter. I have read some where that the relay grounds are a problem, but I cant seem to find the thread, dont remember if it was here or else wheres on the web.
So, now I got the ole lady p/o'ed again cuz it didnt start to drive her Miss Daisy a** around, I'm ready to tell her to fix it her damned self!
On a positive note, I can just jump the starter out and it starts and runs fine.
Has anyone got a clue they could throw me,starting to get cold in these parts and I dont want to get under this thing again.
Please, Thanks, and every other stuff to the man who gives me an idea on what to do.
Bad cable

Mine was bad contacts on the solonoild (solder joint worked loose) went aheadand replaced the starter anyway to be safe

i have the same problem with mine....i also have a 1991 aw4 4.0L and I couldnt start my jeep one day...so tested the battery and it was good so i went and took the starter off and tested it no problems with the starter....so i put it back on and it started right up.....every once and awhile it wont start so i get underneath the jeep and wiggle the wires and it starts right up....i guess its something to do with a loose connection...this is my project jeep so i dont drive it very often so Im not too worried about it until i get it running right.

Since you have the AW4 trans, it may not be the starter. It could be the safety neutral switch on the side of the trans. Try holding the shifter in between "N" and "D" while turning the key. If the starter cranks, it's probably SN switch.

I had the same experience on my 92 XJ. I replaced the starter only to find that it didn't fix the problem. I used a jumper wire from the solenoid on the starter to the positive battery terminal. This made the starter crank. With the key on, it started.

Search for instructions on how to clean this switch as opposed to replacing. This is a dealer only part and runs about $375.00

Back