• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a manifold back system

91Limited

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 91 xj limited and the exhaust is all rotted out. I need a new exhaust system to pass emissions, and the cat is no good, so I'm lookin for a manifold back system. Does anyone know where i could get one? and preferably for cheap(I'm only just turning 16=).
thanks

...and just a side note-It has 290,000 miles on it and still has mostly original parts. the 4.0 is a workhorse and the tranny doesnt skip a beat. I have a feeling this wont be the last Jeep I buy.

performance or OEM?

Either way you'll most likely have to buy the manifold or header seprately from the rest. borla makes a good header that includes a downpipe to the cat. otherwise you'll need a shop to bend one for you. tons of info on these forums regarding performance exhaust from the cat back.

I did my manifold back system cheaply and it was pretty easy, I used performance parts from summitracing.com including a Dynomax muffler.

If you are mechanically inclined (and even better if you can weld) its something you can put together in your driveway.

You will need PB penetrating oil, safety glasses and possibly a sawzall to get the old parts out.

Safety glasses are for losers. Oh wait, after having a couple of pieces of crap removed from my eyes I use the. Heck, even with safety glasses on sometimes junk still gets in your eyes.

I don't know how price compares but Quadratec has a downpipe for your year for under $45. I just put one of theirs on my '85 and it fit perfectly. Summit (mentionrd by bajacalal) sells their house brand turbo mufflers for $15 with free shipping -- just a $9 handling charge per order. I don't know how they sound but hard to beat, particularly if you need any other items on the same order.

For my 1989...

$39.00 for a down pipe (Autozone)
$5.00 for a donut (Autozone)
$109.00 for a Summit OEM cat with the 4 bolt flange
$239.00 for a crappy Motormite manifold (Autozone)
$20.00 for a Summit brand muffler

I must've been lucky because a little PB blaster and the slip fit pipes came right apart.

The manifold/EGR tube was a BITCH! everything else took 30 min.

thanks for all the help

ill probably just go to the local shop and see what the damage will be. I was just wondering if there are any manifold-back systems pre-made by any manufacturer.

If its too much i might try to make my own with the help of some friends

thanks

thanks for all the help

ill probably just go to the local shop and see what the damage will be. I was just wondering if there are any manifold-back systems pre-made by any manufacturer.

If its too much i might try to make my own with the help of some friends

No, there isin't to my knowledge a manifold back system but I got the 3 parts seperately (downpipe, cat and cat-back) and it was still easy to put together. I had to use an adapter from pep boys for the cat-downpipe connection and I later brazed that. Also, I forgot to get the donut that goes at the header and I had to go get one but it still took 1 afternoon. I pre-assembled the cat-muffler and hoisted them up as a unit (enlist a buddy).

Back