• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big lift for daily driver

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys its time to get it up!!

my friend is making me a deal on a 6in lift (mixed parts)... from a project jeep he bought
actually its sitting at 8in with spacers and blocks,,,but i dont plan on putting those on.

my plan is to run the 6in with 33's(stock axles) altough i would easly be able to fit 35's but i dont want to push it...

i just wanted to know and what i need to be carefull with as far as what to make sure the lift has, and anything else i need to buy to make sure i can "Safely" drive it everyday and still take out on the weekends!!! :)

any write ups or pics would be cool

thank you

XJ all the way!!

what parts

pics of what?

Anything over 3" to 4.5" depending on the year is gonna need much to be safe and even more to wheel. The start here and least important is your lift parts. Your gonna need a new leaf pack and shackles for the rear and springs with possible spacers in the front. Daily driven, then add drop LCA brackets. You will need longer sway links, disconnects seriosly reccomended if you want more offroad capability. Get rid of the rear sway bar as well.

The important stuff will be an SYE, longer brake lines all around, longer e-brake cables (get yj lines), probably angle shims for the rear axle and speaking of the rear axle, the dana 30 and 35 are gonna be under alot of pressure with 6" of lift. Even turning 33's your probably gonna have to re-gear to get the tork to have the same or added power to turn those puppies and especialy crawling slow on the trail.

and what does that have to do with what he's asking??:rolleyes:
Starscream918 said:
Maybe an XJ with 6" and 33s/35s? :dunno:

i am dd'ing my 99 with a 8 inch clayton long arm, and 35 inch claws..........it aint too bad, forget over drive, also a sye is for sure a must with a new rear shaft or it will vibrate your teeth out. Disco'd on the front is unsafe with the two link design also, so discontects are a must.

forget over drive? i'm guessing your running stock gears with those 35s

Here's a quick list of parts you should look at if you are going to be DD'in a 5" plus XJ

Quality 5"-6" lift system,
-5.5" XD Rubicon short arm with drop-down brackets
-or a long arm upgrade: Clayton, TnT, RE, rusty's, etc.
-Full-leaf packs, forget add-a-leafs and blocks, just wear out faster and start to sag

The standard shock they send with the RE kits are good, not the best, but I've been running them for 2.5 years and they hold up to my abuse.

SYE kit, I have a 242 T/C so I went with Tom Woods and never looked back.
-Quality rear D/S, not even try a stock front shaft conversion, specially if you are DD'in, I've seen more "stock" centering balls freeze and "blow-up" than I want too. You always want it ready to go, not swappin shafts.

Gears, at least 4.56's, don't even think about 4.11, not even worth it
-if you have the money, throw lockers in while you are at it
-if you have the Dana 35, find a chrcyo 8.25(29 spline) or a Ford 8.8

Dis-connects, well thats your choice
-personally I haven't run a sway-bar in 2.5 years, but then again, with the stiff 4.5" ZJ springs up front and the stiffer Doesh-tec shocks, it handles pretty good, though I am not a race-car driver

Tires
-Well depending on your brand loyalty and location you can't go wrong with the Trxus MT's, I just stepped up to 35's and got close to 60K on my 33's, but I kept them at pressure and rotated them like it was my job. Being a college student and wheeler, you make things last as long as possible.

This is just what I have learned, the hard way, of driving a lifted XJ for the past 2.5 years and putting at least 60K on it since the lift. 4 trips to florida from upstate NY, and back in forth to Boston every week from upstate NY.

wow, that's grown up....what i'm saying is how will a pic help him if what he wants to know is what he will need and if a 6" is an ok DD....read the whole thread...:twak:
Starscream918 said:
Um... dur? :wave:

due to the fact that i would be driving this everyday i might cosider sticking to my current set up and using the money for some lockers.....

i figured as far as performin enhancing on the trails lockers would be a better idea

got some thinking to do still....

cas

My DD has the RE 5.5 sitting around 6+ on 35's with 4.88's.

Would I do it again hell yea.

The major thing is to be safe and look at the laws in your state. My stupid state has me listed as a Station Wagon so the bumper can't be any higher than 22" off the pavement. Well needless to say I am over that. So that may figure into lifting the XJ. I put up with some hassles from Johnny Law.

by the way mine rides better after the lift than it did before even with 20000 miles driven after the lift.

mack said:
wow, that's grown up....what i'm saying is how will a pic help him if what he wants to know is what he will need and if a 6" is an ok DD....read the whole thread...:twak:
Hm, I do remember reading the whole thread, and he mentioned pictures. You said "Of what?" I can only think of a few things he would want pics of, and since he said:

cassio said:
my plan is to run the 6in with 33's(stock axles) altough i would easly be able to fit 35's but i dont want to push it...

i just wanted to know and what i need to be carefull with as far as what to make sure the lift has, and anything else i need to buy to make sure i can "Safely" drive it everyday and still take out on the weekends!!! :)

any write ups or pics would be cool

I just figured he meant pics of a XJ with 33s/35s that is a good setup. I meant no disrespect in my comments...

Oh yeah, i forgot to add in to get the proper travel length shocks and use bar eliminators in the back and eye conversions in the front for the better brand shocks. You wil need good shocks bouncin around on the trai with that much lift so dont go cheap.

Oh yeah, and ofcourse, what everyone else here said. Basically your looking at $2,000 to $$3,000 in parts depending on what you choose to do or where you get them from!!

Cassio,

Don't know if this will help you out but I have a RE 5.5" lift on my 01 XJ with 32" tires and here is what I needed to make it a safe daily driver:

Complete RE 5.5 kit with substitutions such as:

lower adj. control arms (I don't trust having pre-fabbed lengths, shit never lines up the way it is supposed to, you need to be able to adjust pinion angle in the front)
JKS disconnects (RE are junk)
SYE with custom driveline
Spring packs, not add-a leafs
remove rear sway bar
extended brake lines
heavy duty track bar
heavy duty steering stabilizer
4 degree shims for rear pinion angle

that's all I can think of that I had to do......

XJ

Back